1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low experience wiring question...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Zerosun, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Zerosun

Zerosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I live in this house right... small 2bdrm with this nice large living room I'm not aloud to run wires across or really even near...

She's pretty finicky about these things... old days I'd just have wire loom running across the middle of the room... I'm a geek, she's a decorator... and never the twain shall meet...

Anyhow, It has a vaulted ceiling and therein lies my concerns... I have not yet ventured up into what is hopefully an attic, but as much as I would have almost no fear of being able to wire this if it was a house put together by normal people, it is just another cookie cutter tract home (but built well and by a reputable builder).

Before I mount a campaign into the dark territory, any know if these guys make room for additional wiring when they build, or am I just mostly screwed (visualizing a trench running along side the house, circumventing the living room and then piping back into it at the rear wall... argh... I hate working with dirt.)

2. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that house construction in the US is somewhat different to the UK, this will be a 'best guess'

Assuming your house is typical US style timber frame job, there will be space for wires behind the plasterboard (sheetrock). Getting the stuff in there is a different matter. You will need to remove and replace the rock, then re-decorate.

Do you have skirting board (toe boards in the US)? If you don't, then you can buy them with channels to take wiring. If you do, then you can use a router and cut a groove to take the wire.

Andy.

3. Zerosun

Zerosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the assist... I actually studied the layout of the ceiling and I have a way to do it...

Runners won't work because theere isn't a straight line anywhere from the back wall to the stereowall...

Hard work... I HATE hard work...

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    i'm sorry, i don't speak american :)