Low end second system, which supports USB hard drive

DaveS00

Standard Member
Evening All,

I am looking to buy a second system, with a budget of up to £500/£600. I require:

play cd's
stream internet radio
external USB drive with music files (FLAC format), can plug into the system - external drive not included in budget.
speakers.

I would like a good sound from the system, but appreciate this area has compromises everywhere.

I was thinking of a bundle from Peter Tyson - a Yamaha all in one unit with Dali Spektor 2 speakers, but have read the Yamaha tends to go faulty in various ways just outside of 2 year warranty. The equivalent Demon unit doesn't support USB - Denon D-M41DAB

Ease of use is very important - hence was thinking an all-in-one, but not vital. The cd player will be used infrequently, streaming from the hard drive and internet radio will be the main usage.

All advice welcome

Thanks
Dave

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A tough call for new stuff.

Here’s the best I can manage...

A streaming amp that’s better than it looks.

A CD player with usb stick capability.

And some exceptional speakers.

And it’s still more than your budget. 😔

However, these bad boys will bring it closer to your max outlay.

Last edited:

DaveS00

Standard Member
A tough call for new stuff.

Here’s the best I can manage...

A streaming amp that’s better than it looks.

A CD player with usb stick capability.

And some exceptional speakers.

And it’s still more than your budget. 😔

However, these bad boys will bring it closer to your max outlay.

Thanks - I'll do some reading

DaveS00

Standard Member
A second hand laptop ,and a good DAC?.
I understand the laptop aspect, and ty for the suggestion - but that doesn't sit well with me - could be because my Win 10 machine took an M$ upgrade last week and went belly up. That aside surely a dedicated "hiFI" boxes are going to be less hassle than a laptop

TB Rich

The Denon N10 takes a USB, has CD, streaming (HEOS), and Airplay 2 + BT.

Bargain price here: £269.99

Leaves about £350 for a pair of speakers.
Tons of options out there, I've not heard anything in that price bracket but Dali Oberon 1 or KEF Q350, would be my first auditions I think.

But if you can do without a CD, an alternative could be a Yamaha WXC-50 (Amazon warehouse have a 'like new' for £259):
Amazon product
Paired with some active speakers, maybe Q Acoustics M20, £359 open box:
Paul7777x above is quite the active speakers advocate - he may have better suggestions than these.

That's £618 for the pairing above anyway.
You could always add one of those cheap Tibo or Tanget CD players for about £120 later on, and with a digital out into the WXC-50, should actually sound good too as you'd not be using the CD players likely poor DAC for that price.

DaveS00

Standard Member
The Denon N10 takes a USB, has CD, streaming (HEOS), and Airplay 2 + BT.

Bargain price here: £269.99

Leaves about £350 for a pair of speakers.
Tons of options out there, I've not heard anything in that price bracket but Dali Oberon 1 or KEF Q350, would be my first auditions I think.

But if you can do without a CD, an alternative could be a Yamaha WXC-50 (Amazon warehouse have a 'like new' for £259):
Amazon product
Paired with some active speakers, maybe Q Acoustics M20, £359 open box:
Paul7777x above is quite the active speakers advocate - he may have better suggestions than these.

That's £618 for the pairing above anyway.
You could always add one of those cheap Tibo or Tanget CD players for about £120 later on, and with a digital out into the WXC-50, should actually sound good too as you'd not be using the CD players likely poor DAC for that price.
I have been thinking about the Denon unit, and one i had many years ago did a very good job but I haven't found any reviews. I know the 10 is an outgoing model (but nothing wrong with that!). I was also considering the N11 in a bundle and stretching the budget a bit.

Ty very much for also finding the offers you mention in your reply - much appreciated

TB Rich

If it were me I wouldnt push the budget to go from an N10 to N11, the tier of products these things are at have a basically yearly refresh cycle give or take, and there is never anything more than the trivial to differentiate them. A new Bluetooth codec, or a new Airplay version etc, core hardware basically stays the same, in general.
I’d put any extra towards speakers, though I guess if you go too far up the speaker ladder then you run into an issue whereby potentially they exceed the all in one by too much! But I doubt that’s likely to rear itself in practical terms unless you go really exotic and expensive on them?!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom