Low end DLP or midrange LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SallyWater, Feb 13, 2014.

1. SallyWater

SallyWater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, new to forum but always been a fan.

I'm looking to get a new PJ. In the past I have owned the Optoma HD80 and few other Optomas around the same range. Always loved them, no rainbows etc.

My budget is now tight and I'm looking at 2nd hands. I have the opportunity to get a decent priced Epson TW 5500 LCD PJ. I'm all about punchy blacks!! I will have semi-dedicated room, sometimes a bit of ambient light but generally dark. My question is, should I get a the high end (if a couple of years old) LCD or would I still be better off (in terms of contrast) with one of Optoma's low end DLPs?

Or, for my £700 budget, are there newer PJs about that can outclass the TW 5500 and older Optomas?

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  2. SallyWater

SallyWater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it because I'm new or because my question is stupid that nobody has replied :(

3. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    I think it was the way the question is worded, the LCD's are generally pricier so you are asking it the wrong way round in my opinion. Should be either a mid LCD or high end DLP. (Price wise I mean).
    Tell us about your current set up as how much light control you have has a great bearing on the quality of PJ it's worth getting blacks wise.

4. vale69

vale69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    if you want to stay in the Optoma family, I'd look at - second hand - the HD30, very good quality and not too bright for a perfect home cinema environment....HD25 is cheaper but too bright in my opinion. Of course no lens shift in that price range therefore pay attention at the installation

5. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    See Vale I would prefer the HD25 as my set up is in the living room so that's why I asked about the set up

6. vale69

vale69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Steve, you're absolutely right: nevertheless, I should add that - strange enough - in my flat, with a 1.0 gain screen and in a relatively bright living room (furthermore in north Italy, certainly brighter than the UK ;-)), with my 2300 lumen BenQ W1500 I had to add a ND2 filter otherwise the brightness was still too much for an "evening home cinema setup" !

7. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    I would rather have a decent pic in the day when sport(football) is on and add a filter than be all washed out in the day though :thumbsup:

8. SallyWater

SallyWater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, it will almost always be used at night for movie purposes only. Its not that I absolutely want to stay with Optoma. I suppose what I want to know is if a (once) high end LCD can rival a mid range DLP in terms of contrast/black levels?

9. vale69

vale69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I guess it can, it depends mainly on your personal perception, for example of the Rainbow effect, which can be very annoying in the low-mid range DLP devices up to 1,200-1,500 €.
    Black levels/contrast depend on the single model, they can be amazing on both technologies

10. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671