1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"low end" 3CCD advice...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JayX, Aug 26, 2003.

1. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    as my (january 2002 rrp) £800 JVC has become faulty again with the same heads problem i took it into shop back last year, and problems that it seemed to have out of box (which in my mind justifies me getting a new camera, but i doubt JVC see it like that, especially as its now out of warranty by a few months.. sigh) my best plan is to get it fixed again (hopefully for free) and either sell it on ebay/privately or part-ex it in for a new camera.

cos im not gonna make anywhere near the amount of money back i paid for it, i dont really want to settle for another <£1000 single CCD camera really, as it's not going to last me more than a year or two, and i'm already pining for a higher quality model.

so, looking at the 3ccds in the shape of (im sure you've guessed it :p )

the sony trv950
    the panasonic mx500
    the canon dm xm1 / xm2

personally, i think the xl1s and the vx2000 are out of my price range completely (unless i can find them in great condition at the price of these). i have very little money at the moment (a few hundred pounds) so will be relying on 9month interest free credit and finding a job in january when my university course ends.

now, a lot of people talk about low lighting indoors, but my main use for my camera thus far has been in live venues recording bands. the lighting rigs differ (from mini-stadium class light rigs, to generally red based spotlights) and whilst the JVC wasn't too awful at handling it it tended to bleed the colours a bit if not setup perfectly. i wouldn't want the next camera to bring up a worse image than this (single ccd lens 1/4" f.18, its the DVL 357 camera seen here ) especially if im paying a lot of money. the addition of a high quality microphone is also a bonus, as whilst i was impressed with the inbuilt mic of the JVC, their reluctance to place a ext mic socket on the camera was frustrating, especially as i didn't want to use a MD and sync the streams in post)

whilst outdoor filming will be something i'll be more into in the future (as i want the next cam to last a good few years, hence the more expensive investment) i really want to make sure my band videos come out as good as i can afford. if anyone has good experience with a similar kind of surroundings as im trying to do, or any advice on the cameras, i'd appreciate it :)

thanks

2. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look over here http://www.camcorderinfo.com but from what I have always read from most people in that forum is that you cant go wrong with the trv950.
    I am going to get myself in a month or 2. Getting the american version brought over for 1500Euro comparing to a PAL version from Sony centre here in Ireland (3000Euro). All of the editing will be done on PC so can chose to output PAL or NTSC.

Have a read anyway!

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    cheers for the site, will read into it :)

the trv950 looks a nice camera, i'd like to try the different sizes out for portability/weight etc between something like the 950 and the vx2000 (just in case i can find one second hand heh)

personally i think even tho its generally about $1=£1 when it comes to electronics, i'll stick with PAL cameras. means less messing around when it comes to powersupplies, plus then i wont have to convert resolutions and framerates in my NLE. just makes life easier i think, but hey its a good saving so if you're prepared for it, nice one :)

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got a TRV950 & it's a good camera, records great images. Quite a bit smaller than a VX2000 too. Haven't had to do much low light filming with it though.

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i just came back from town with a shiny new TRV950 :) after trading in my JVC cam, its cost me .. £900 i think. maybe £1000. im not sure, i split it (with the help of a parent heh) over a few cards and cash, but their new price was £1299, which is pretty damn good for the high street.

got it on charge, but loving it already. my god that zoom is fast! and the quality of the image on the LCD inside my front room with no artificial lighting is fantastic

cheers guys :)

6. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Your going to love your TRV-950, I know that I love mine.:D

7. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a nice deal you got. Do any of ye know if there is a site selling the 950 for about the same price. Living in Ireland and would need it to be delivered. Thats works out atleast 200Euro cheaper than the american version. My uncle is heading to the USA next week and I was going to get him to bring it back, but if I can get the PAL version from some where closer, even better!
    Cheers

8. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    they have a website, heres the direct link to the product : http://www.cameracentrecardiff.co.u...02&PHPSESSID=4182383ffd60f5a6b23aff2b97becfb6

the vx2000 isn't in stock atm, so i asked him how much they usually sell for. he said £2000. my jaw hit the floor :)

and yeah, im loving my 950. everyone who's reviewed it seems to be comparing its low light abilities to cameras way in advance or the older 900 model. in comparison to my jvc, the quality of image from inside the house was fantastic in my opinion, i can't wait to give it a proper testing now :)

edit : PAL version plays back ntsc tapes (either in pal or ntsc 4.43.. i wonder if the ntsc version plays back pal tapes out of interest?

9. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dumbass me (and working nights) misread that you traded your old camera in iswell. So I think for the 400euro in difference I will try to get the NTSC version. (1800Euro for PAL and 1400Euro for NTSC, is the hassle, if any thing went wrong, worth it)

Just to make sure, the PAL acessories will work on the NTSC version?? eg the lights and batteries (i persume the power inside the camera would be the same just the transformer different)

So all I should need to get is a 110/220 transformer to power the supply unit??

JayX, I doubt very much the NTSC will play PAL tapes. Much like VCR's, PAL VCR's plays both (nowadays any way) but NTSC generally only play NTSC since there is no real point/market for them to have it. NTSC films out before PAL. I doubt most americans know their tapes wont work over here and I doubt alot of them know that there is dvd regions, Especially since they dont have to care. I know camera tapes are in a different suituation but I would say the same applies.

PS: any use any steadicam attachment with their camera's. I think I will have to try to do a diy style one first and see if there would be a point in investing in a proper one.
    http://www.steadicam.com The JR one