Low end 2019 or mid-high 2018/17?

Glen1977

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking specifically at LG soundbars, unfortunately I can’t afford the high end latest release but if looking back to the 2018 and 2017 models, would a higher end SJ be better than a low end SK? Also Dolby Atmos is the big buzz word but does it actually work in a soundbar? Is DTX a poor relation or actually just as good? To start I really only want a soundbar but it would be useful to be to add extras down the line if I wanted. Regarding the older v newer original query obviously if there are suggestions for the other big players then let me know. I only focused on LG as I have a B8. Also my living room is rectangular but ‘open’ to the next room and the tv is towards one end. I guess bouncing the sound of the walls and what shape room you have makes a big difference? Not sure what total sound wattage my B8 gives but obviously I’d want to hear a big difference if I bought a soundbar, just the best stuff for my buck (well pound actually!). All expert help much appreciated. I’m sure there will be more questions as you answer...

In regards to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X they're both object based audio formats (which I'm sure you're already aware of) adding in height channels which on traditional surround sound setups means speakers in the roof but on soundbars this effect is achieved via upfiring speakers on the soundbar/speaker itself which bounces sound off the your ceiling strait back down to you the listener.
How well this works on a soundbar it depends how your room layout is and what kind of ceiling you have, if you've got flat ceiling as most people do that's about 8-10 foot high the overheard effects are quite good (speaking from my own experience on my Samsung K850) obviously performance varies from soundbar to soundbar but if you've got one of those v-shaped ceilings the effect will be reduced but even then the sound itself will still feel more 'open' while playing atmos or dtsx content.
In relation to Atmos vs DTSX you should expect the performance to be very good on both audio formats because you have to remember that all Dolby Atmos is Dolby TrueHD with added in height channels while DTSX is simply DTS-HD Master Audio again with the height channels added in.

Do you have a budget in mind? what's the max you're willing to spend? can't really throw out suggestions unless I know what kind of money you are willing to drop.

Ok at £250 forget about Atmos or DTS:X just focus on the best sound quality regardless of brand, don't limit yourself by just sticking with LG.

Ok and the very best sound/bass/fake surround sound options?

The Wharfedale Vista 200s (recently reviewed by Avforums) might be something that you're interested in, solid performance at a good price I think it can be had for around £220

Wharfedale Vista 200S Soundbar Review

Also right at the limits of your budget there's the very highly rated Yamaha YAS-207 which is really meant to be great value for money and is about £250 maybe with some shopping about you can get it cheaper.

Yamaha YAS-207 review | What Hi-Fi?

Yas! The Yamaha YAS-207 is the budget soundbar you want

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom