Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Low-cost speakers for 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TheSeer, Jan 24, 2004.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

I have a 36in Toshiba Dolby Digital Tv that cam with its own surround & FL/FR speakers. They don't sound too bad considering.......

However, what I want to do is spend a relatively small amount of money to get a taste of proper 7.1 surround. I can then decide whether I want to spend larger amounts of money to build up a higher quality HC sound set-up.

So, can people recommend speakers Rear Surround / Back / Centre speakers which will be a REAL step-up from those supplied with the Tv but which won't cost a fortune. They need to be relatively small but looks aren't important. The FL/FR will continue to be my main stereo speakers. I was thinking of something that might cost appx £100 - 150 per pair.

The speakers will probably be driven by a Marantz Sr7400 receiver.

All suggestions welcome & appreciated.

Thanks

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Take a look at some of the 900 series speakers that Mordaunt-Short make.

You'll be able to make up a decent 7.1 system for somewhere in the region of £500-600 max and that will last you quite a decent amont of time whilst not breaking the bank.

:smashin: