Question Low cost remote monitoring of power consumption at several sites simultaneously

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by TattsUK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Low cost remote monitoring of power consumption at several sites simultaneously
    Hello,
    I am working on a project where I will need to simultaneously record the power consumption of some electrical equipment installed at several locations across the UK and this remotely. I need to be able to go back in time and see the power consumption for the last say 7 days with a time resolution of at least one per hour. I was thinking of using smart plugs to generate the data and then to export it to excel for plotting; or at least to have the data plotted on the smart phone app.
    I first thought I would go for the Belkin Wemo Insight since the default app has an export function but I just found out that it is not possible to install several of these smart plugs at different locations using the same smartphone.
    Would anyone in the community have any recommendation on hardware I could use? I don't really have the budget to install a hub at each location and even less a computer. This excludes Apple HomeKit smart plugs and anything requiring SmartThings since they need a hub.
    Thank you

2. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    I have TP-link smart plugs installed at both mine and my parents house through my phone (kasa app)
    I think it's the HS110 model that has energy consumption tracking but don't know if it will give you the amount of data you'll require

3. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for this. I did read about this smart plug but I don’t believe that the app shows more than a daily average.

4. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
  5. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, this is not fit for purpose for my project. A daily average is not good enough, I would need at least one data point per hour over 7 days. Thanks for checking anyway, much appreciated. It is often very difficult to find out this information on the product website or amazon

6. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    At £43.00 each Wemo Insight can hardly be described as low cost
    I also don't understand why you say that they cant be installed at different locations
    why is that ?

7. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Who set the budget and what Tech had they in mind when they set the budget?

Joe

9. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did, thinking that I could use the Edimax SP-2101W along with the free version of the software PTRG. I found out that it doesn’t work as I expected and am now investigating alternatives since I might struggle to increase the budget now

10. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    If you decide on the WeMo Insight route I would be happy to put mine up for sale in the classifieds

11. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that but unless you know otherwise, according to belkin’s website one needs to use a different tablet or cellphone per network monitored simultaneously with WeMo insights

12. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    Different locations would have different network SSID's I cant see a restriction on that as you can login from any location
    I will research a bit further

CREATE RULES, SCHEDULES AND RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS
    Download the free Wemo App to as many smartphones and tablets as you like to create rules and custom schedules. The Wemo App can be as flexible as you need and allows you to create rules that are easy to set up and can easily be changed. You can even receive notifications that are personalized to meet your needs.

Get notified when your laundry cycle is finished so that you avoid wrinkled clothes, know when your child has exceeded their daily TV limit and turn it off, or find out if you left the space heater on accidentally.

13. TattsUK

TattsUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  14. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
  15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,127
    This would do the trick, but if you find £100/location already to expensive then I wish you luck...Home | OpenEnergyMonitor

And then you still need to budget for install, maintenance, and data integration work..I'm sorry but your budget is ridiculously small...

16. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Plenty of equipment out there to do this, but not at that price point. Smart plugs are neither designed nor have the Non-Volatile RAM to store hourly data. What exactly is your requirement. I am assuming that you have WiFi / Internet access at each of the premises.

As per many of the posters here I have to agree that the budget for this kind of project is ridiculously low.

My manufacturing facilities regularly monitor the energy usage of equipment, but we tend to use data loggers with CT Clamps, which is the correct equipment for this type of exercise.

Maybe a little more transparency with your project, equipment type and purpose of the project, location (commercial / domestic) would go a long way to helping us provide the free consultancy that you are looking for.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but a lot of people on these forums give their time and experience for nothing, often to the benefit of others, who get material gain from their advice. I think that little courtesy, in the form of transparency would often help the people trying to help.