Low Cost Plasma TV Repacement

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Cocksure, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Hi
    My brothers 8 years old or so 47/48 inch Samsung plasma TV is on it way out and I have been asked to look at replacements for him. He doesn't have much money so the obvious choice of an OLED is likely out and i'm worried that he might find motion issues with a LCD screen. :(

The tv doesn't need to be any good at HDR or gaming, as its 90% Freeview watching and 10% dvd's, with many of the dvd's being of old tv programmes (1960s doctor who etc). It is however heavily used during the day, and lights are always on at night time. It would be better if it offered reasonable sound quality, but I can always buy him a sound bar which I suspect will be needed, so 3 hdmi's required.

Size wise, as long as its not smaller than any size is fine, brightness, motion handling and upscaling are what matter the most, with contrast after that. Does anyone have any recommendations? Viewing angles are no more than 30 degrees

Edit
    Budget is around a £1000, but would prefer to go less. I could maybe get him up to £1200 but he really doesn't have much money (the curse of children)

2. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Ok, just spoken to my brother and had a look at tv prices online, and the budget could be pushed to £1400 which would get him an entry-level OLED, are they worth looking at or given the price are they best avoided? Motion handling he is the most concerned about

3. Ninja Wolfman

Ninja Wolfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    LG OLED55B7V (TVs)

LG B7 is the best option but selling out quickly due to it being a 2017 model.

LG B8 is the 2018 model but only offers minor improvements, for 2018 models buying now is not a good idea as everything is overpriced.

Black Friday will be the first time any real discounts come, then March - August next year.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Wow thanks @Ninja Wolfman :thumbsup: I've past it on to my brother with the strong advice to buy at once :) It ticks all the boxes wonderfully :love:

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,297
  6. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Thanks @Dodgexander my brother has gone for the Panasonic EZ952 simply because it comes with a 5 year warranty and because Vince at HDTV likes it (he loved my ZD9 :laugh:), the faults with it are none issues for my brother.

PS huge thanks once again for the ZD9 tv, still brings a smile to my face especially after the calibration Gordon did on it :)

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,297
    Great! Glad you are still enjoying the ZD9!