1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low-cost plasma (lol, stop laughing now)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ric_hall, Dec 5, 2004.

1. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like submitting posts this vague, but I have little experience with Plasma displays and somewhat of a timelimit(by the 9th say) .

I have been asked for advice regarding purchasing a plasma screen around the 1.6 grand mark(2 grand max), with the only requirements being that it must be new i.e. have a full warranty, be wall mountable, have an analogue/digital(either) tuner, and have at least one RGB capable scart(in) .

Normally I'd go off and read reviews about the technology at this point and then individual product reviews, but they are few and I don't trust the magazine or manufacturer reviews anyway . Basically I want to know about any concerns with using a plasma(will be general usage - TV/DVD), such as resolution, burn-in, screen quality, product life, picture quality(shouldn't that be first in the list ;) ), aesthetics(apparently some offer 'control boxes' i.e. power switch, brightness, etc. that are not attached to the screen directly to improve the look of it when wall mounted, and to avoid accidental damage), and anything else you can think of .

Any help would be appreciated, and I'll have a proper look through this forum tomorrow for back posts(too late to spend hours trawling through posts) .

>>added - seeing various offers for installation(wall mounting) running at £200-300 - now I assume this includes the stand/bracket at around £100+, and I've been hearing concerns that insurance companies won't pay up(damages) unless it has been professionally installed . What are your opinions on this and is it really worth the extra money?

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Hitachi 5200 is available for just under £2K now, and has a tuner and RGB scart and can be wall mounted. Also has component and DVI etc, but you didnt mention those...
    The 5300 which has a separate media box is about £65 more.

3. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking into account new information, the max price for screen purchase is around 1.6 grand - ignore installation costs atm . Thankyou to the above poster for information, but I don't think the bank will stretch that high .

>>also been hearing about 'techwood' screens, but I suspect this is only one person's opinion .

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You didn't specify the size, so I assumed 42". You can get smaller for less of course. Sticking with 42" though. I suggest then that you go for the Panasonic TH42PWD6 which costs £1549 delivered from AV-Sales, and buy a decent Freeview Box for about £80.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Avoid Techwood like the black death. You could try (yawn, I know, but they're such good value) the panasonic TH42PWD6, a scart board, a freeview box, and a JS RGB to VGA converter, that will cost very little more than £1600 currently. Your alternative would be LG I guess, personally being so close with the 1600 I'd go the few quid extra. But the LG will beat the techwood comfortably even if not in the big boy's league.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I understand that you prefer the VGA converter to the SCART board, but it's not the most practical suggestion in this case - especially combining it with a SCART board!!!

If you go with the RGB->VGA converter, you should really go for the component terminal board.

Either way, with an additional freeview box as a tuner, then a SCART switcher (Quintro) or amp (Pioneer) would have to be a consideration.

There are also no speakers included, which wasn't specified in the requirements but my be a concern given the other requirements.

If you are thinking about the LG, see the very long thread on the subject - contains a lot of good information on setting them up.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Graham stick to LG advice, you have no clue on Panasonic, you are a danger to yourself and others.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Low Cost Plasma + MAWS advice = High Quality Result

It does what you have specified and the synergy of that package is greater than the sum of it's parts.

You could otherwise follow a long thread and become bored with it.... or you could simply just take the boringly excellent option above and save yourself the wasted effort.

9. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I think you should lay off Graham and go and learn about other PDP's yourself.

I have an LG and have yet to find a plasma that will beat it!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    If you're willing to sacrifice the quality etc etc and brand name is not important to you....You could always go for the Techwood, Samsung or LG. If brand name is important but uneconomical you could always de-badge them, (yes it's a seriously sad thing to do but some have been known to)

Just make sure you get a cooling off period if buying those in any case as you may wish to take them back in a hurry !

PW6/7 option doubt very much you will need a cooling off period at all. :smashin:

12. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input thus far

The AV-sales TH42PWD6 special offer looks interesting, the SCART option would be necessary(too many devices dependant - not an ideal option, I know) .

Additional questions:
    I take it your VGA/RGB cable(MAW) allows an additional RGB in of higher quality than the Scart?
    Are magnetically shielded speakers required when a speaker is in close proximity to the plasma display?

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    no, a plasma is not firing electrically charged particles
    so magnets from speakers do not affect it.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    RGB to VGA converter yes, allows a better quality RGB signal. This is a converter from www.jstechnology.com Often imitated, never equalled.

15. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You get one terminal board free, which may as well be the scart if that's what you need. I assume it's for a DVD player you have? For the freeview box, you can either get another scart board or the RGB-VGA convertor which MAW suggests (not much price difference really). Its much better quality, but you do lose the aspect switching ability.

16. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you had more money i would suggest the viera ,but buy a panasonic ,probably a pw6 ,you wont be dissapointed.
    ;0

17. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.... i have just bought the techwood 42" from dixons...have i made a mistake...i have read all the threads and im still not sure what to do...it looked very good in store, and its coming this saterday?????

18. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cancel it ,you have made a mistake .You have every right to cancel it and get your money back .ring them now

20. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it that bad a plasma

21. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, what exactly was wrong with Graham's advice?

He suggested a JS RGB->VGA board paired with a component board rather than the SCART board you suggested.

What is the point of a SCART board in addition to the JS converter? Given that the SCART board is panned universally, wouldn't it be better to just hang a switcher (eg Quintro) off the JS converter if you needed more than one RGB input? It would be cheaper, and by all accounts, would result in a better picture...

A shame that this forum is being ruined by petty squabbling.

22. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes,you will be dissapointed,buy a panasonic if you can afford it,my first plasma was a thomson,it cost me £2500 and was a big dissapointment.
    Whish i had bought a panasonic first time round .

23. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you are sayin..but i looked at the techwood next to the samsung and the picture was smoother on the techwood, the samsung had pixalation marks around the edges of things...How much is a panny and can i get the same 12 mths intrest free cred?

24. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Panasonic TH42PWD6 £1299 from Richer Sounds, £129 for a further 3 yrs warranty. Now thats a pretty hard deal to beat!

25. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/

or call on 08707 740730

they have great deals on plasma tvs or just panels ,not sure if they do interst free ,

26. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

yes that is a great price.

27. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i just got off the phone from dixons at derby, and they feel that if im not happy with the techwood within 14 days i can have an exchange or refund. I do think that if it looked good in the shop, it will look good at my place. In the shop i watched some of the loard of the rings (dark bits) the bit when they set of the fireworks, at the start, looked better than the samsung which was £500 ish more.

28. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well im going to try the techwood, Dixons say i can take it back in 14 days if im not happy.

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TECHWOOD is a SAMSUNG the only difference is the badge and tuner box.......a mate of mine has just ordered a hyundai so i am going round to condemn it and return it at at the weekend......if it is any good I'll eat my own pubes..................see this thread for panny happiness http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner less than £2k for panny 42" and 5.1 sound

30. Gadget man

Gadget man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...Hornydragon i thought you may pass judgment...i was speaking to ben today at av-sales and he has oferd me a Panasonic TH42PWD6 for 1550 ish with a bracket and things. I think Ben said he knows you...do you know if he is loged on tonight as i wanted to speak to him ?