Question Low cost GFX card for old PC - Lightroom 6.14 and Olympus Workspace

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a pair of lovely Dell U2419H Ultrasharp 1920x1080 screens.
They have Display port and HDMI inputs - no VGA - so I had to move from motherboard graphics to a GFX card.
One is connected direct with HDMI the other using a DVI-D to HDMI lead.

I had a passive cooled ATi Radeon HD4550 1GB card spare so I'm using that for now having bullied Win10 to accept it.

I'm mainly using it for productivity work - so 3D performance isn't important.
The system is old and the card is even older.

ASRock H61M-DG3/USB3
1 x PCIe3 x16 slot
1 x PCIe2 x1 slot
i3 2130 processor
16GB DDR3

I've just discovered that Aurora HDR2018 won't run - it needs Open GL 3.3 - which isn't supported by the card or at least not by the last driver Win10 will install.

I'd quite like to allow Lightroom 6.14 and/or Workspace to use GPU acceleration but they both want at least 2GB on the GFX.

I'm not looking to spend more than £50, used would be fine.

Anyone in a position to recommend a GFX card that would be worth the trouble?

Thanks for looking
smile.gif
1592384904439.gif

Hmmmm spent (too long) looking online at CEX, eBay etc.
My concerns about buying an elderly GFX card on eBay have put me right off. They don't seem to be particularly cheap either.

I'm considering this - CEX have a 2 yr warranty -
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB - £35

vs

Asus GeForce GT 710 (2GB) Graphics Card PCI-E VGA/DVI/HDMI - £32.50 new

The benchmark comparisons I can find suggest the 650 would be slightly to massively better but I'm drawn to a later generation, silent card.

Any thoughts before I plump for the 710 over the 650?

Missed out on the cheap 710 - bought one for £45 from ebuyer as I'm bored with thinking about this now :)

I recently upgraded to a pair of lovely Dell U2419H Ultrasharp 1920x1080 screens.
They have Display port and HDMI inputs - no VGA - so I had to move from motherboard graphics to a GFX card.
One is connected direct with HDMI the other using a DVI-D to HDMI lead.

I had a passive cooled ATi Radeon HD4550 1GB card spare so I'm using that for now having bullied Win10 to accept it.

I'm mainly using it for productivity work - so 3D performance isn't important.
The system is old and the card is even older.

ASRock H61M-DG3/USB3
1 x PCIe3 x16 slot
1 x PCIe2 x1 slot
i3 2130 processor
16GB DDR3

I've just discovered that Aurora HDR2018 won't run - it needs Open GL 3.3 - which isn't supported by the card or at least not by the last driver Win10 will install.

I'd quite like to allow Lightroom 6.14 and/or Workspace to use GPU acceleration but they both want at least 2GB on the GFX.

I'm not looking to spend more than £50, used would be fine.

Anyone in a position to recommend a GFX card that would be worth the trouble?

Thanks for looking
smile.gif
View attachment 1319374
lightroom gpu acceleration on a low end card is a waste of time, just stick to cpu

It’s being delivered today so it’s a bit late to worry.
I’ll try Olympus Workspace & Lightroom with and without acceleration and see if there’s any difference.
A speed up on building panoramas, HDR, export or just screen refresh would all be welcome but I’m not terribly concerned if nothing changes.
I keep finding videos that won’t play which I imagine is the age of the 4550 showing.

It’s being delivered today so it’s a bit late to worry.
I’ll try Olympus Workspace & Lightroom with and without acceleration and see if there’s any difference.
A speed up on building panoramas, HDR, export or just screen refresh would all be welcome but I’m not terribly concerned if nothing changes.
I keep finding videos that won’t play which I imagine is the age of the 4550 showing.
install lav codecs. they are great for video.

Lightroom runs faster on my phone than pc :) shame it doesnt have all the desktop features though. For lightroom performance they recommend more ram. Performance gains will be seen upto 24gb

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom