1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low-cost DD/DTS/DPLII amps (<£150)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jase1, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jase1

jase1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm after a budget receiver/amp with DD, DTS and DPLII. One major prerequisite is that it MUST be less than 340mm deep, as I am changing my current receiver (a Sony STRDB930) because it's too deep for my new setup. It's for the back room so is doubling up as a stereo amplifier, so decent enough stereo performance is important, as is a decent number of stereo inputs, at least one tape loop and one 5.1ch input, one coaxial and one (preferably 2) optical inputs.

I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR5630 (I already have one of these and it's a nice unit), but also the TEAC AG10D (this looks very promising I must say), or Sony STRDE495. I know this sounds like a Richer Sounds product list, but I haven't been able to find much else with the all-important lack of depth.

I have to say I like the look of the TEAC, but am interested to know if anyone has experience of these machines and can give me any advice on what is the best unit to go for in this price range.

Or would I be better off just going for the Pioneer VSX-C100 and use an existing stereo amp for hifi use? Not sure I'm too keen on this idea as I want the integration, but it would save money....

TIA

2. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got an HT-SL40 Sony from Techtronics for £150

3. jase1

jase1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I don't need the speaker set, just the amp itself. I also suspect that this little Sony won't have that many inputs unfortunately (a source of a lot of headscratching on my part as I need the inputs lol).

4. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That looks like a bargain, is the amp any good? Looking for an amp to drive some Canton CD1s.