Low Company Fuel Rates

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how much other members have their business fuel costs reimbursed at.
I am a local government officer. The authority I work for use a four band system.
Being a high mileage user I am on the highest band.
When I joined 15 years ago I was reimbursed at a rate of 7.1p per mile. Now, 15 years later it has crept up to 8.4p per mile.

I am wondering if anyone has a job where they get less than this.

40p per mile for the first 4,000 miles per annum, then reducing to 25p per mile thereafter.

Sorry :hiya:

GaryB said:
As a guideline, the Inland Revenue publishes official rates that can be claimed for business miles travelled in your own car and reimbursed by your employer:

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/companycartax/ir_mileage_rates.jsp

Thanks Gary, It's actually a company car so I don't have servicing etc to worry about.
I am still out of pocket about £100 per month on fuel costs.
Also, I have to pay £124 per month as part the car agreement.(was £34 but went up 400% last year)
Before you ask, field based officers are not allowed to use their own vehicles for business because they calculated it would cost the authority to much for high mileage users.
The rate for casual users is as in mh123s' post.
My mileage is 30,000. They would have to reimburse me £8,100 under that scheme of which the fuel (diesel) costs would be £3,000 leaving £5,100 for the vehicle cost and maintenance.
I am also taxed to the hilt for this imposed privilege.

Steve N said:
Thanks Gary, It's actually a company car so I don't have servicing etc to worry about.
I am still out of pocket about £100 per month on fuel costs.
Also, I have to pay £124 per month as part the car agreement.(was £34 but went up 400% last year)............... [snip]...............................
.................. I am also taxed to the hilt for this imposed privilege.

If you weren't paying that £124 a month, you would really know what being "taxed to the hilt" was all about !

I had a company car until two years ago, and I paid for all my private fuel usage, but my tax code was prefixed with the letter "K", which means that my "payments in kind" were more than my allowances, and I started off the year owing the tax man money. Now I run my own company, and I run my own car, and pay myself 40p a mile (as per the tax guidelines), I service it myself and buy my own fuel, but I'm still better off, because I still have my tax allowances (and I pay myself more than my last boss did !) :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom