Quantcast

Low ceiling for Atmos soundbar - well how low exactly ??

Atarioldskool

Hi
as the title says , what is classed as a low ceiling ?

I've read many sound bar reviews on here and they all suggest to get Atmos effects properly you need to have low ceilings otherwise it is not going to work!

So how low are we talking ?
13feet ? 8 feet ? Etc

Thanks

thedoswells

Hi

I've read many sound bar reviews on here and they all suggest to get Atmos effects properly you need to have low ceilings otherwise it is not going to work!

13feet ? 8 feet ? Etc

Thanks
I would imagine it’s more like 8 to 10 feet but a flat ceiling a little higher would be in scope. Mainly warning people about vaulted ceilings.
my impression is that sound bars even with upfiring speakers won’t give much of an impression of atmos, even with low flat ceilings...

Aryn86

Hi

13feet ? 8 feet ? Etc

Thanks
Not sure about is classed as 'low' but a lot of the Atmos soundbars are made for slightly higher ceilings so I wouldn't worry about it too much aslong as you don't have some 25 ft ceiling.

Aryn86

I would imagine it’s more like 8 to 10 feet but a flat ceiling a little higher would be in scope. Mainly warning people about vaulted ceilings.
my impression is that sound bars even with upfiring speakers won’t give much of an impression of atmos, even with low flat ceilings...
This is wrong, aslong as you don't have obstructions (like roof fans) that could hinder the sound and your soundbar is placed in a decent positition coupled with your own seating position overhead effects are very effective on the best Atmos soundbars.

Atarioldskool

Oh ok thank you
Currently do have a over hand fan but that's going to be stripped out

Would a small pendant / chandelier ceiling light hinder it too ??

I've just gone and purchased the Samsung q90 soundbar

thedoswells

This is wrong, aslong as you don't have obstructions (like roof fans) that could hinder the sound and your soundbar is placed in a decent positition coupled with your own seating position overhead effects are very effective on the best Atmos soundbars.
I think by saying “my impression” I was just giving a personal opinion that soundbars won’t really create proper atmos overhead effects. Others may not agree, but that is my view... nothing sinister :)

KenMasters

If you have a low, flat ceiling and you're not getting much of an effect from your Atmos Enabled speakers, it might be that the angle isn't right for your seated location.

Sloppy Bob

I have a neighbour who knows I'm into AV a bit and asked for help with his new setup.

A decent Samsung LCD TV and a Samsung Soundbar with Atmos. The problem was he wasn't hearing any of the effects overhead.

It took less than 2 seconds to dignose the problem and it really wasn't the only one.

TV above a tall fireplace, soundbar above the TV with a low ceiling..... :facepalm:

How he can expect to hear dialogue never mind Atmos is beyond me. Of course I gave him appropriate advice that the entire setup needed changed but he's just going to tweak about with it a bit as he's sure it will work eventually. o_O

Top Bottom