Question Low but highly pitched noise with projectors / TV

djkutasi

Ex Member
Reaction score
I am having a strange issue with my projectors. There is a very low, but noticeable noise coming out from them. It's like a whistling sound which is audible even the machine is in stand by. It's almost like "white noise", but for example with my Sony projector had a kind of "dialling" sound... :)

It's not a big issue, but distracts me and causes me headache (literally).

I tried to connect my machines to different power sockets in the room, but nothing changed...
The machines i had(have) always made this noise so don't think it's cable or projector related.

So i had this problem with my Sony VPL-HW65, JVC DLA X700, Panasonic PT-AT6000...
I also noticed that my Sony LCD does the same...

Any ideas?
or just move to an another house? :D

Are you using dual HDMI outputs from your amp/receiver ? I get a ringing from my pj if set to auto and have to switch the HDMI output manually to stop it from happening So only output from the one in use I also use hdtbase to feed both tv and pj don't know if that has something to do with it.

Mick

Hi,
At the moment my projector is connected directly to my media streamer (Popcorn Hour Vten) via one single HDMI cable (so don't have an amplifier yet...) and my media streamer is connected to a networked external hard drive.
But i have HDMI auto function "on" on my projector. I try to check what happens if i turn it off.
Thanks for the tip! :)

Ok i tried this HDMI auto thing, but nothing changed...
I unplugged all the cables from my projector except the power one. But still doing that whistle noise.

Should i try a special power cable which has a some kind of "cleaning filter" on it?

By the way the main power switch consol in our apartment does the same kind of noise when i was listening next to it.
I am not an electrician, but maybe the problem is coming from there then... :S

Sounds like the power coming into your apartment is not clean.

I wonder if you can get an energy monitor like a kill a watt, plug it in and check the voltage and frequency to see if/or how much the incoming power is varying from specification for your locale.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom