low budget.. whats avalible?

S

sorridsky

i only have a little money to spend on a new tele, video and DVD.
i was thinking around the £400 mark for the TV, is there a flat widescreen avalible for that price?
Also i dont have any external speakers, although i could hook the TV up to my high fi, so sound quality is as important as picture quality :)

and then sort of £350 to cover a new video and DVD, cables etc..

is it possible to get anyhting remotely deacent for those prices?
its all i can afford.

i appreciate any help!

Some advice-

Cut your DVD and VCR budget to £250; you can get a perfectly good DVD player for around £100 (e.g. Cyberhome AD-L528 or CH-505) and a top-spec VHS VCR (e.g. Panasonic 630) for less than £150. Now you have £500 to spend on a TV!!

Go to uk.pricerunner.com and search for TVs for £500 or less. Search the forums for info on the ones you're interested in and then if you have any specific questions about a certain model, post on here again ;)

Plenty of good 28" 50Hz sets for that money look at the 28WS6006 Philips (I think that is the model). LG also make decent budget flatscreens. £350 may be over budget for the DVD/video. £120-140 for a multiregion Toshiba SD220e dvd and about same for decent NICAM VCR. Save £40-60 for two decent scart cables and away you go. Pay close attention to the TV. That is the crucial element as I have found in budget systems.

thanks guys,
I'm getting the equipment on a rental agreement from my local store.

I've been searching the archives and so far have read this could be the best set-up, but it may be a little over budget:

TV: Phillips 28PW6515

DVD: Toshiba SD220e

VHS: Panasonic NVFJ630BS

hows that for a set up, also will buying each thing from a seperate manufacturer be a problem?

Looks like a pretty good set up. Don't worry, buying from different manufacturers won't be a problem at all :)

Do use pricerunner to get the best prices ;)

edit... just re-read your post, looks like Pricerunner won't be of much use to you :( Is rental your only option??

renting works pretty well for me,
as after a year I can update all my equipment to the latest model's and if anyhting goes wrong they come fix it in my house, or replace it, and its a local shop, with people we know and trust.
and also it goes under my mothers account, so the debt, doesnt count in my name :)

Sorridsky,
LIDL the supermarket store does a widescreen flatscreen 28inch nicam stereo tv for £429. The plus side is that this tv has 100hz, it has child lock, picture in picture, sleep timer, ntsc playback, auto tuning, two scart sockets (don't know if any RGB), multi picture mode, comes in both silver and black, has three years manufacturers warrantie, etc... The downside is that it is an SEG. Never heard of SEG, but LIDL is a German company so I guess SEG primarily caters for the German market and must therefore produce decent quality tvs. Plus you can't go wrong with the 3yrs warrantee. Three weeks ago they were selling 50hz 28 inches SEGs for £170. Sold out on thoses in less than a week I was told. LIDL does not accept credit cards, only cash and debit cards. TVs not on display so you won't be able to examine picture quality before buying - they also come with no stands. If you are interested visit your local LIDL store pronto and enquire. :)

Goa

opps!!
I just went to my local shop with my list, all chuffed and excitied, alked in, said the phillips tv, and toshiba DVD, and they said..
we dont stock philips or toshiba!

they do stock:
sony,
samsung,
JVC,
panasonic

so those are my choices for TV/VID/DVD
what can you recomend instead?

JVC or Panny for the Video. If you can Sony for the DVD, else Samsung. The TV you will just have to see what they have in your budget. The Pannys and Sonys might be a bit beyond what you want to spend. I have not seen Samsung TVs, so I cannot comment. Best of luck.

well after a long search on here this seems to be the pick:

panasonic TX28pl1
JVC ZV28T25
or at a stretch a Sony KV28ls35

and the same panasonic video, and a sont NS-405 DVD player.

hows that?
and which TV is the best?

thankyou so much for the help,

I went an orderd a panasonic TX28PL1
and Panasonic NVFJ630BS

the DVD I left, they wanted ridiculus amounts amounts of money for one and wouldnt rent me a multi region one, So I'll look to buy a multi region toshiba SD200e, can you recomend me a cheap place for that?

thankyou so much again,
this site is invaluable.
good on you chaps :)

:confused: You mean SD220?
The best deal I know of is to print out the details of the Amazon deal (£119 + 3 free DVD's) and then get Richer Sounds to beat the price (£109 I read on this site iirc).

This site is OK but I've still got clutch judder for the 1st mile in the morning - Oh! but I ain't asked anyone here about that :blush:

Sorridsky,

Check out the Cyberhome (branded as DabsValue on this site) CH-505 at www.dabs.com (Quicklinx: 25NBWS) £94 inc. P&P!!! (Specs: http://www.cyberhome-europe.de/specs/dvdplayer/chdvd505/ch505.htm )

Fantastic machine, multi-region (inc. RCE discs out of the Box (remote code hack) and easy to remove Macrovision via a firmware update. It has RGB, Composite, S-Video and component out. Integral Dolby Digital decoder and digital out (supporting Dolby, dts and MPEG audio).

I have the old model (AD-L528) and that's a cracking machine.

one last thing,
what with and how should i connect the DVD, video, and my stereo to to the TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom