• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Low budget sub woofer to work with Wharfedale Diamond 9 in 2.1 configuration

fatbustard

Standard Member
Having upgraded my AV recently, I migrated from 7.1 to 5.1.2 and therefore have both my old AV (a Sony STR-DH820) and the side surrounds (a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9) spare. Although he was not really interested, I managed to persuade my brother in law to take them as I hate waste and was not keen on selling them either. He can have it as a 2.0 system, but I thought it might be worth getting a super budget subwoofer and making it a 2.1. I figured small budget speakers like the Diamond 9s would be fine for sides as I had them previously, but as front speakers they might lack punch without a small woofer. He is not interested in spending a lot of money or effort, but could possibly persuade him to accept that. Is there one that anyone could recommend? I have seen the Yamaha NSSW050 going for £109 at Richer Sounds which is a good price, but as odd as this might sound to the audiophiles here, that is probably the maximum he would consider spending. With such small speakers acting as the fronts, I thought something lower budget would suffice. Thanks

D

Deleted member 24354

See if he can stretch the budget and look for a second hand BK Gemini Sub. They are £240 new but can often be found for around £150 second hand. I think that the Yamaha maybe more disappointing than not having one at all. Something like a Gemini will give a lot of bass extension to a small pair of speakers like the Diamond 9's and deliver a very pleasurable audio. experience with a seamless bass extension, rather than sounding like rumbling thunder or a kick-drum in the back-ground.
I run one with my 6.5" ceiling speakers in my kitchen and it makes the world of difference. It fills the entire bottom end void without being obvious that I am running a sub.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If he would stretch to £150 he could get a fine Wharfedale SW150.

Perhaps a little less used.

These are a great sub for the price.

EDIT, as mentioned above, the Gemini is a first class sub. If he can find a used one then that is the one to get.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

I think that as long as he looks at something better than the Yamaha sub, he should be fine.

fatbustard

Standard Member
I'm quite surprised that the Yamaha NSSW050 is so poorly thought of here as if you look at the average reviews online they are positive and quite similar to the Wharfedale SW150 (which I own myself and rate). Is the consensus that buying the Yamaha to make a 2.1 system would not be much of an improvement over having just the two little Wharfedale Diamond 9s in a 2.0? Can't imagine they have too much bass on their own.

My brother in law is not an audiophile, and I actually had to push him to take my AV receiver and speakers for free, so wouldnt be interested in spending much. Was hoping I could get something south of £100 to match the speaker pair which were cheap as chips :(

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha will add bass certainly.

Perhaps not as clean and agile as the Gemini...

But it will do the job for someone who is not overly fussy.

I’d be extra careful not to have it set to to high a volume compared to the 9s so it doesn’t bloat them out of the picture, but other than that a hundred quid won’t get you better without some serious s/h bargain hunting.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
PM Sent yesterday.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom