Low budget flatscreen CRT problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by aaronlee, Apr 26, 2007.

1. aaronlee

aaronlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had my budget for a new tv slashed because of a mini financial disaster, I'm in the market for a cheap-as-chips crt tv to replace our old Sony 28in IDTV which blew up a couple weeks ago. My budget now stands at a paltry £200, down from £500, which doesn't leave too many options. I'd like a minuimum of a 28in set, flat, with or without Freeview. At least one RGB scart would be handy, but it's not the end of the world if it's not. The main use is for Cbeebies for the little one, and occasional DVD and gaming - Wii via composite at the moment on a 14in portable :(
    Anyway, I've spotted a Luxor 3225 32in flat jobbie out there that's within budget, but I can't find out much about it or the company. I'm pretty sure that Luxor was taken over by Nokia some time ago, but after that I'm drawing a blank.
    Failing that, there are plenty of 28in flat screen machines out there for £200, and while I'm under no illusion that I'll be buying anything that will set the world on fire, I'd much appreciate your help in finding the best of the bunch.

2. truscotsman72

truscotsman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Would the £200 not fix your sony? :confused:

3. aaronlee

aaronlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might do, were it not for the fact that it's in a land-fill site somewhere. It went pop just after it's warranty expired, cost £145 to fix, then went pop again a year later, which was fixed f.o.c. by the original repairer as a goodwill gesture, and finally died two weeks aga. Couldn't really afford to invest any more in it.

4. truscotsman72

truscotsman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. aaronlee

aaronlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did take a look at that set before my budget was slashed, I underatand it has some geometry issues, although it does sound quite good. Unfortunately, my budget really is only 200 notes - I know you can't expect too much for that, but anything is better than a 14inch portable with comedy fish-bowl screen. You should see widescreen movies on it - it's like looking through someones letterbox from twenty feet away.

6. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If money is tight, look at the used market. I got a Sony KV-28WS2U for 25 notes from a scrap yard. People are off-loading CRTs for a bag of chips. Do I care how long it lasts at 25 quid?

7. aaronlee

aaronlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know why I didn't think of that - ebaying at the moment for a used model, couple of miles from my home. Partner is a little reluctant after the problems we had with our Sony, but my experience of CRTs prior to the one that's just blown up is that they are largely bullet-proof. Can't really go too far wrong at the prices that people are off-loading old CRTs at the moment, plus I could save the extra 100 or so notes and buy her something nice. Or not. Thanks for your help - I'll repost with my purchase when I get one.

8. aaronlee

aaronlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Missed out on e-bay 32in Philips jobby, but in slightly drunken conversation with someone over the weekend who has a 4 year old Sony 32in flat CRT in his loft, which they were going to leave there when they moved house - mine whenever I want it. Now, does anyone have an old Bentley Continental that they're not using any more.........