Low audio levels - Sky Q

jonoro

There are many complaints about low audio levels from Sky Q boxes. A few on this site and many on Sky's own forum pages.
I investigated by measuring the audio levels and came to a conclusion as to the reason/cause.
I posted my findings on Sky's forum site. Subsequently I have been asked to post a copy on this forum site.
See attached as "Sky & low audio.pdf"

Attachments

John

Tldr, he believes there is a flaw

John

In conclusion I believe that there is a flaw in Sky Q boxes I have in that neither of them deliver

I am not sure anyone is really going to read a 4 page pdf. You should have just c&p'd it

jonoro

Jaycee - just worked for me (on a different box with no access to my nas) try again, it is a pdf

John, thank you for that advice, I didn't think of that in my enthusiasm!

cuke2u

It does that is true...

Russ_64

I always just assumed that this was a normal difference between SD broadcasts and HD due to different audio encoding. BBC1 SD (local news) outputs as LPCM (which is louder) and BBC1 HD outputs as DD (which is a bit lower volume). My issue is not this but why BBC1 is now the only one to use SD for Local News.

jonoro

I thought it was just the "country" feeds, as in N Ireland, Wales, Scotland and London (as proxy for England), that are available in HD as well as SD.

Russ_64

London and most of the English regions (14 total) are still SD.