• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Loving Sucky Bass - a Proverb

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Sorry for this mostly pointless post, but I was reading the current issue of Stereophile Magazine and came across this editorial quote -

"Bass, like sex, is something most young men desire to excess:..."

The article, which is probably not on line now, but will be soon is titled -

"How I learned to stop worrying and love sucky bass."

It dabbles into the psycho-acoustics of how and why we love excess bass, and frequently prefer it over quality clear bass.

Again, no point here, I just like the quote about - bass, sex, and young men.

Sadly my days of excess bass and excess sex are behind me. :( Though I do dearly miss them both.

Steve/bluewizard

2DandStereo

Standard Member
I don't want to be overwhelmed by bass, but I do want it to go very very deep. Recent gigs I have been to, the PA has been very weird - bass guitars get significantly louder on the bottom two strings because of the desire for chest-rattling low frequencies.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Very true Steve - but I would add that once you get over the "yoof" phase, then quality, body-shaking, brain-chemical-overload-inducing se.. sorry, bass becomes something that just puts a big grin on our faces. :devil:

Sadly my days of excess bass and excess sex are behind me. :( Though I do dearly miss them both.

But surely, as you've got older, you've begun to appreciate a much more measured, refined approach to both subjects, rather than a quick 'wham - bam' ? :D

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
But surely, as you've got older, you've begun to appreciate a much more measured, refined approach to both subjects, rather than a quick 'wham - bam' ? :D

Absolutely, just as at one point in my life I enjoyed a more measured and refined approach to sex.

I think we all refine ourselves as the waves of time wash over us. But you can not deny the intensity of youth.

I've always thought that is why Heavy Metal music never dies. Yes, people proclaim its death, but really it just moves to a new generation. The music reflects the intensity with which they feel life. They mellow and music they listen to mellows, and Metal is proclaimed dead, but a new generation always finds it.

I do like bass, but not at the sacrifice of everything else. I suspect that is a position we all move into assuming we continue to listen to music beyond our turbulent youth.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom