1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lovely Lovely MDF

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havent experimented with mdf (at college) i quite like the results, anyone know if you can get special sizes cut? 8x4.5 really.

Mike

2. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Mike,

I thought you'd emigrated or run off with a saab! mdf is s..te! spend some of that money and get yourself a decent screen!

I am still waiting for some answers from you....

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    If you get MDF from B&Q, they will cut it to the size you want. I think it comes in 8' x 4' sheets. Might be tricky getting anything bigger.

I made a lightweight 84inch x 47.25inch screen using 70mm x 18mm wood and blackout cloth.

Total cost was £28 including screws and staples.

I may be posting some pics in the near future.

HTH

Gary

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, sorry, works been a git this week, we get our updates from our dns servers in the states, or are supposed to... long boring story... anyway, not gone with a saab, im going to order the boxster after i took a test drive and can actually shoe horn myself into it. Sorry to hear about your...umm, luck, Ill drop you a mail tomorrow.

I was all set to get the damat tensioned screen but the narrow room and excessive casing put me off, and the cost is silly.

Other Gary, would love to see those pictures mate, ive looked at your normal suppliers, and 8x4 is the biggest, just wondered if a merchant would cut a special size for me. Have you built any masking systems or anything?

Cheers<br />Mike

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Metric<br />Go to a really good timber yard (Not a DIY) they should be able to get MDF or PLY in larger sizes.

Don't forget to piant both sides or the non painted will take in more damp and it will curl.

roland

6. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, just gotta locate one local... wonder if they deliver

Mike