LoveFilm vs Downloading movie torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foebane72

I'm joined with LoveFilm at the moment, with unlimited discs, three at a time, but I'm finding their choice and availability a bit limiting.

For example, I wanted to see two silent movie classics, Nosferatu and Metropolis, but Lovefilm's "Watch Now" facility is very unreliable, and there were no DVD or BD versions for rental.

So I downloaded them via torrent instead, and enjoyed them both last night.

Does using torrents rather than rentals damage the film industry? Do the movie companies make money from Lovefilm? I wouldn't have thought it would be much, but I hear that rental copies cost a lot more than retail, so maybe that's it.

I wouldn't ordinarily do it, but Lovefilm has been getting pretty crappy as of late, what with the Universal dispute, meaning there's quite a few movies that aren't available for rental. Come to think of it, many OTHER movies aren't available for rental at LF when they are in other places - the Star Wars BD trilogy, for example - why can't I rent that?

And why do other titles have "waits" in them? Is there some kind of queue? I don't have the patience to wait!

I figured I might go to Netflix, but I like physical discs coming through the post rather than streaming video, and last I heard, Netflix was all obscure movies... AND it's suspiciously cheap.

So what are my options? And what do you all do?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Is this serious?

You are really asking "does watching films illegally harm the film industry?"

Of course it does, what do you think would happen if everyone did it?

People delude themselves by saying "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so they haven't lost any revenue". Not convincing when one person says it but multiply by hundreds\thousands\millions and I'm sure you can imagine the impact.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Inked

Distinguished Member
Don't worry, in five minutes he'll have changed his tune and will be telling you he never even mentioned illegal downloads. That's certainly what happened last time he posted about the subject.

IronGiant

I would imagine F.A.C.T. are rubbing their hands with glee already...

mark1080p

Not in favour of downloading illegally but on the otherhand, i personally dont feel sympathetic for the big guns of hollywood. Maybe more so for the independent studios

6 of the top 10 all time highest grossing movies were produced within the last 3 years totalling $ 10 billion

Thats not including Dark Knight rises which is out shortly, which will be another billion.

Hollywoods not going bankrupt soon

kBm

Distinguished Member
JAMFish72 said:
I figured I might go to Netflix, but I like physical discs coming through the post rather than streaming video, and last I heard, Netflix was all obscure movies... AND it's suspiciously cheap.

So what are my options? And what do you all do?
Netflix is great. Obscure? From someone who wanted to watch silent movies?! The quality is streets ahead of lovefilm and the cross platform makes up for the lack of latest titles.

TV shows are its strong point, loads of choice of older titles that could of been missed.

Try a free 30day trial.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Not in favour of downloading illegally but on the otherhand, i personally dont feel sympathetic for the big guns of hollywood. Maybe more so for the independent studios

6 of the top 10 all time highest grossing movies were produced within the last 3 years totalling $ 10 billion

Thats not including Dark Knight rises which is out shortly, which will be another billion.

Hollywoods not going bankrupt soon
Yes, many studios are raking it in but even if they are amazingly rich, to me it still doesn't justify to not pay the required price for the cinema ticket/DVD/BRD/rental etc

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
JAMFish72 said:
So I downloaded them via torrent instead, and enjoyed them both last night.

Does using torrents rather than rentals damage the film industry?
Don't think you should be discussing downloading films illegally here mate and worse than that admitting you downloaded the torrents!! Not good! Doesnt matter how many people do it and how frequently, don't admit to it!!

There aren't really any other legal options for you. Buy it from the shops if you're that impatient but currently renting or buying are your only legal options.

And there's no getting away from the fact that it is absolutely harmful to the industry. Yes the industry is making money and not going bankrupt anytime soon but there are some people out there who will not think twice about downloading a film regardless of quality and not go to the cinema. Before piracy was so widespread, said person/people would have to go to the cinema if they wanted to watch a film but now they don't have to. The revenue of those people is being lost and it is harmful.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
if you could get all the different film studios films from either lovefilm or netflix that would solve alot of the problem. but currently they are incomplete services and this type of fragmentation helps no one

Last edited:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Oh, and BTW, does Netflix offer physical stuff in the post? I thought not.
nah i dont think so, love film and blockbuster do, their are a fair few companies that do it by disk now, if you want to try streaming services try using a US dns, you'll get access to a far greater library of stuff.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
So Lovefilm sucks, is that the general consensus?
ive tried all the disk services and to me they were all pretty much the same, only minor differences, i got disks within a day, they all had decent enough libraries, it was games where they differed a bit but lovefilm were fine by me, you'd be better off getting a streaming service if you have a decent connection imo, but if you want disks imo lovefilm were the best when i used to use them.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Will say their pricing became much better when netflix came to the UK, the wonders of competition!

Anyway, with LoveFilm, they also re-branded as:

• CD-WOW!
  • Sofa Cinema
  • WHSmith Movies Direct
  • Tesco DVD Rental
  • EasyCinema
  • Odeon Direct
  • Nectar DVD Rental

So a company who you may think are a competitor are actually white-labels of LoveFilm

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Netflix are fine by me. Only 7 euro I think. If I only watch 3 films a month then IMO it's good value. Plus I can view via PS3 in the living room, laptop via HDMI on the TV in the bedroom, on my phone while on night shift etc.

Some new stuff at times but lots of classic films what I would either watch again or never got around to watching before.

Foebane72

Wow, have I been a tit.

Sorry if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious ("is downloading torrents bad for the film industry?") and acting all naive and innocent about it, but you're all correct, and I'm an imbecile AND AUTISTIC after all, so maybe I don't have the social sense to stay on the right side of the law.

In any case, it's not like I've been doing it for ages, I'd only just started.

But my broadband connection is absolutely CRAP for streaming video, especially those services that have a cry and fall flat on their bum the moment there's a momentary interruption, like say, Lovefilm's "Watch Now" facility.

In any case, I don't want to buy DVDs any more, rather just RENT, but what can I do when not even certain titles I want to see are available?? I don't want to pay for more than one rental service, I think £13.27 a month is more than enough as it is.

So don't blame me for turning to a naughty way of doing things. What other option do I have that doesn't cost more?

IronGiant

Wow, have I been a tit.

Sorry if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious ("is downloading torrents bad for the film industry?") and acting all naive and innocent about it, but you're all correct, and I'm an imbecile AND AUTISTIC after all, so maybe I don't have the social sense to stay on the right side of the law.
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett