Lovefilm Stops Doing Game Rentals

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I've used them a few times for games donuts a shame. Hope I get a refund on the extra I pay for it!!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-02-lovefilm-ditches-game-rentals

UK rent-by-post service Lovefilm has ditched video games from its catalogue of available entertainment, to focus solely on films and TV series.

"We are no longer offering games rental packages to either new customers, or those who wish to change from a non-games package," cited the Lovefilm FAQ (via Gamebrit).

"In order to give the best possible service that we can, we are looking to focus on our strength, which is providing the best selection of film and TV content for our customers, and making it available whenever and wherever you want it."

That's as detailed as the explanation gets at the moment; whether the decision has anything to do with changes made for the next generation of Xbox and PlayStation consoles is unknown. But now Microsoft has abolished its licence-based trade-in solution, little has actually changed.

Lovefilm is owned by internet behemoth Amazon, and faces fierce streaming, video-on-demand competition in the UK from US-import Netflix - a service that also doesn't offer games for rent.

Both Lovefilm and Netflix are available on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Wii U. Netflix will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One, and presumably Lovefilm will too - but what with the announcements being US-focused so far, it's been hard to tell.

Bit surprised actually. I thought they were getting rid of games as a result of the Xbox DRM but they haven't done a 180 like Microsoft.

sounds like, for the timebeing at least, that those with the games package will still be able to rent games

Yeah just checked my account, you can rent for now but if you amend your package you will lose the option to rent games!

Bad news!! Reckon Ill be cancelling if all you get is the scabby games and no new releases

I paid a year in advance so I wonder if I'll get a refund if I drop the games.

Ask CS. Worst they can say is no.

I've used Boomerang rentals for years now, as well as having Lovefilm. Give's me the best of both worlds. I think my Lovefilm is about ÂŁ8 for 3 disks unlimited, and the Boomerange rental is ÂŁ4 for 1 disk for an unlimited amount of time.

I've recieved Black Ops II, MW3, Fifa 13, Last of US and plenty of other Triple A game on launch with Lovefilm, had the best 3 years every with them.

Boomerang Rentals was poor as far as I remember, they couldn't even ship old games on time. Hopefully they've improved as I'm sure Lovefilm will remove current subscribers by Christmas.

Would be nice if PS4 games would be available for renting. :D

there's always blockbuster, ÂŁ9.99 for games and films 2 at a time. doesn't seem too bad.

The sucks. I rent games quite a lot and seeing as they will obviously be phasing it out overtime we will end up not being able to rent new AAA titles.. be a while until that happens but when it does I'll be cancelling sub :thumbdown:

Could we see in the future of the ps4 Amazon and sony doing a deal for game downloads from the Amazon site for rental only as with films ?

I've emailed support about it and they said for now games won't be available for new customers but they will let me know of changes in the future.

I CBA To copy paste the email. I was asking about account credit if my account got dropped to just 3 discs at home unlimited.

I said in the X1 thread that perhaps Sony and MS have their own rental service planned so Lovefilm are just sacking it.

Just got a email from them saying no game rental from 8th August for anyone :thumbdown:

"*Hi Barry,*You may have already heard reports about changes to Games rental as part of the LOVEFiLM service.*We're very sorry if any information about service changes reached you by third party or media reports, rather than first coming from us.*From 8th August 2013, your current LOVEFiLM package will change, as we will no longer be offering Games rental. This is because we are concentrating on our core strength of providing world-class film and TV subscription services.*You can rent Games as normal until 8th August, but as of 8th July we will no longer charge you for the games rental element of your subscription - your account will be credited with the difference.*On 8th August, your package will change to*4 DVDs & Blu-rays per month, PLUS unlimited instant viewing, for ÂŁ8.16 a monthand your account will be automatically updated.*If you'd prefer a different package, please choose from the options on your*change package page.*We very much value you as a LOVEFiLM customer, so if you have any queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to*get in touch.*Happy viewing,*"

Im on 4 discs mth, 2 at a time inc games and unlimited streaming... basically they changing me down to the top light package with streaming added.

So people.. wot other options are there for game and blu ray rental? ?

Boomerang for games.

Cheers, really want one for both really though

Although the price ain't bad - will look at blockbusters as mentioned above too

2 discs priority is ÂŁ13.99 at Boomerang, for ÂŁ14.99 I had 3 discs and unlimited streaming with Lovefilm.

Might go to Blockbusters, ÂŁ9.99 with two games, hopefully they ship new games on launch.

2 discs priority is ÂŁ13.99 at Boomerang, for ÂŁ14.99 I had 3 discs and unlimited streaming with Lovefilm.

Might go to Blockbusters, ÂŁ9.99 with two games, hopefully they ship new games on launch.

Yer boomerang is expensive compared to wot lovefilm was like with everything else :-( not looked at blockbusters yet xxx xxx

I'm just going to ditch renting games.

Stick with my Blu Rays and TV series from lovefilm. Will knock it down to 2 discs though.

Need blockbusters to do online streaming at the current prices!

Never used it once so be happy to ditch it.

I do use it if bored and no film disc at home but it is older stuff (Although i did watch the exclusive Vikings series on there - and have started to watch the first series of Dexter on there.

I guess if i got Blockbuster its is still 2 discs at a time (1 film & 1 game) and is unlimited (compared to 4 a month on lovefilm) - just need to return disc straight away.

Disc rental is best still imho - Best picture vis blu ray, available on disc first (then sky>lovefilm/Netflick etc) so only miss out on tv series streaming i suppose.

Like the idea of the blockbuster top ticket thing as well (guess though if alot of us wanting games move across that might not work to well LOL) not decided as yet but guess i might give blockbusters a go to keep game rental

I get my money's worth of Lovefilm as I get the films and then they are back in the post the next day, my home server is then 60gb worse off :)

Thanks for sharing that your a pirate lol

Why a pirate!! maybe rented movies not watched them so ready to go on home server. Nothing wrong with that imho.
Love film get disk back asap and it goes out to the next customer winners all round.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom