Lovefilm Reviews

Keithhampson

Novice Member
Hi, I have just signed up to lovefilm DVD rental service but I don't understand how the films on there are reviewed so could somone explain to me, I saw a film that had 56% and 3 out of 5 stars and another at 51% and 3 and a half stars out of 5, which does not make any sence surely the 58% reviewed film should have more stars than the 51% film and not half a star less or are they two differnt types of review? and what is the graph above the reviews mean? I can find nothing explaining how the films are reviewed and this is really inportant to me so I can order the films that I like. if someone can kindly explain the review system that Lovefilm use I will be most grateful.

Regards Keith

Razor

Razor

Mark_a

I think review sites are dumb ideas. You just have to look at IMDB to see the wildly opposed views on just about all films there. What does it tell anyone that Unknown-A thinks it's ten out ten, at the same time that Unknown-B thinks it's zero out of ten? Other than the obvious, of course, that we all know already, that everyone's tastes are different.

I guess that with a known quantity you can at least generalise about similar or dissimilar tastes, but why the hell should I care if Jonathan Ross, or Roger Ebert think about anything at all? I don't ask them how to vote, or what flavour of ice-cream I ought to like, so why the hell should I care what films they like?

In short, reviewers, dumb idea - see it for yourself, make your own mind up. It's the only valid way.

That's not to say that the IMDB is not a damn fine site crammed with lots of useful movie info, because it is. But just treat the reviews with the indifference they deserve.

Regards

Mark

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I agree...I would never base my rental list on reviews other people have given a film...if it look interesting I'll give it a go. That's the Beauty of LoveFilm.

Razor

I use IMBD as a guide. Take the average score from thousands of users and make up my own mind.

partyweb

Distinguished Member
I use IMBD as a guide. Take the average score from thousands of users and make up my own mind.

I agree with Razor there. :smashin:

Why base your decision towards viewing a film on one person's POV. For example; many people respect Mark Kermode's opinions on movies, however I've enjoyed many movies that he has severely panned.

IMDB is a great site to get a general flavour for a particular movie. If a movie is truely bad you'll pick up the vibe from there. If however, you really only want to get your info from 'respected' journalists then you can't go wrong with www.rottentomatoes.com :smashin:

Keithhampson

Novice Member
Hi, I have just signed up to lovefilm DVD rental service but I don't understand how the films on there are reviewed so could somone explain to me, I saw a film that had 56% and 3 out of 5 stars and another at 51% and 3 and a half stars out of 5, which does not make any sence surely the 58% reviewed film should have more stars than the 51% film and not half a star less or are they two differnt types of review? and what is the graph above the reviews mean? I can find nothing explaining how the films are reviewed and this is really inportant to me so I can order the films that I like. if someone can kindly explain the review system that Lovefilm use I will be most grateful.

Regards Keith

Hi Guy and thanks for you help, but would someone answer the above question if possible, It gives me a rough idea when I am browsing lovefilm.

Regards Keith

jensK

Hi Guy and thanks for you help, but would someone answer the above question if possible, It gives me a rough idea when I am browsing lovefilm.

Regards Keith

As far as I understand the Lovefilm rating system:

a) you can rate a movie on lovefilm when you are a member and you have 1-5 stars. That how the star rating figure is generated
b) percentage this is my best guess by looking at a view movie ratings would be that a
1 * movie rating ranges from 0-20 %
2* movie rating ranges from 21-40%
3* movie rating ranges from 41-60%
4* movie rating ranges from 61-80%
5* movie rating ranges from 81-100%

Please fell free to correct me as this my first guess.

R

Razor

Regards Keith

Why dont you just email lovefilm and ask them. Get it from the horses mouth so to speak. Best way IMO. :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom