Lovefilm question

FunkyMonkey

I have read that if you order a Blu Ray or HD-DVD, or maybe even a newish DVD on Lovefilm, it is highly likely they will nto have enough to satisfy demand so that you will NOT get it next day (or via 1st class post) as promised. Is this true?

pjclark1

last week I had 6 HD-DVD/Blu-Ray from Lovefilm
this week I have only had 3 HD-DVD/Blu-Ray from them

I'm on the 3 at home plan and I can't really complain that I'm not getting enough (I only request HD format disks).

Trying to remember what they were, Mulholland Drive, Alien vs Predator, Reaping, Into the Blue, Letters From Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers, The Fog, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I suppose it may make a difference if you've only got HD DVD/Blu Ray or other high emand stuff on your list.

I had to wait a while before I got any HD DVD/Blu Ray after adding them to my list, now I get them on a regular basis.

All discs are sent 1st Class though, as to whether you actually get them next day is mainly down to Royal Mail, I'd say, who are erratic at the best of times, let alone in the aftermath of there off/on again strikes.

pjclark1

Yes you make a list, they decide what to send you from the list.

piros

Although you can choose which is highest, medium or lowest priority, well, when I was with them you could :) I always put 3 of the ones I wanted on highest and the rest on lowest. Used to always get what I wanted, unless they had nothing at all available

FunkyMonkey

This isn't really that good then is it? In video stores, there are several if not tens of copies of the latest film available. And you can generally have what oyu want when you want it. It has made me think twice about joining. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

pjclark1

I've paid £16 for ..... at 12 disks a month
that works out at 1.30p a hire.

So I think it is pretty good (compared to stores)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
This isn't really that good then is it? In video stores, there are several if not tens of copies of the latest film available. And you can generally have what oyu want when you want it. It has made me think twice about joining. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Just because they have loads of copies, doesn't guarantee there'll be one available when you want it:devil:

Also there's a lot more choice with online rental, you aren't just limited to what they have in the shop, plus the fact that you don't have to worry about returning them on time or anything.

Personally, I could never go back to renting from a shop.

Why not take advantage of one of the many free trials available and see how you get on with it?

FunkyMonkey

All good points in favour of online, which is why I wanted to go with it. Still do. I'd be a 1 to 2 films per week user which is why I'd want the film I want each time.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Best thing to do then is keep your rental list very short (around 10 or so) and there's a good chance you'll get what you want more often than not.

I've got about 400 in my list, but I'm not bothered what they send. Anything I'm really desperate to see, I'll probably buy anyway.

Mickle

I got the ump with Lovefilm coz I rarely got anything I wanted and the turn round time is terrible. Put a film in the post on Saturday and most of the time I didnt get the next one for the weekend.:eek: Gone back to Amazon who turn round films lightning quick in the order you want.

FunkyMonkey

Yes, in terms of packagaes, Amazon seem to have the best one for me. lovefilm go from £8 package to £12 package. Amazon have a £10 that suits me best. If Amazon really are good, I may go with them. Although I did read that lovefilm are the company behind other companies. I wonder which companies lovefilm serves. :confused:

luKasledge

I have a question about lovefilm too.

You know they're doing a 3 month free trial for new sign ups and everyone is exploiting that to the full, by cancelling just before the 3 month trial period and then signing up again to get another free 3 months.

So with everyone renting loads and loads of DVDs for free and I can only guess just a few paying members (why pay when you can get it for free) my question is how are Lovefilm.com making any money?

tichtich

Although I did read that lovefilm are the company behind other companies. I wonder which companies lovefilm serves. :confused:
Amazon, Blockbuster and EasyCinema are all independent. (Here's a guide.) Most of the others seem to be provided by LoveFilm. If you're thinking of going with LoveFilm, it might be better to choose Tesco, as I think they use LoveFilm but are a little cheaper. EasyCinema (from the EasyJet people) looks like a good option for people who only want a small number of DVDs.

tichtich

You know they're doing a 3 month free trial for new sign ups and everyone is exploiting that to the full, by cancelling just before the 3 month trial period and then signing up again to get another free 3 months.

So with everyone renting loads and loads of DVDs for free and I can only guess just a few paying members (why pay when you can get it for free) my question is how are Lovefilm.com making any money?
It's probably only a few people who cancel and rejoin. Still, they do give away an awful lot of free months, and it must affect the service they can provide to long-term members.

I once joined LoveFilm for a couple of months (one of them free), and ever since then they keep sending me special offers (3 months free, or 3 for the price of 1) to tempt me back. I think I've had 8 months membership so far, and only paid for two of them! ;)

google

Distinguished Member

Let me get this right, you sign up for 3 months then cancel just before the 3 months ends then sign up again for 3 months?

Surely Lovefilm will prevent the same postal address from taking out a subscription again so soon after cancelling. If they aren't then they must be mad.

luKasledge

Let me get this right, you sign up for 3 months then cancel just before the 3 months ends then sign up again for 3 months?

Surely Lovefilm will prevent the same postal address from taking out a subscription again so soon after cancelling. If they aren't then they must be mad.

Nope they're mad, hence the question, I can't really see how they're making money?

(If you are paying for lovefilm my advice is be smart and don't, but if you want to keep me benifiting from free lovefilm service by all means keep paying)

TarMoo

I have tried Love Film and Amazon. The advantage with Love Film is that they have the largest library of films of any of the online renters.

At one time I have over 100 films on my Rental List and was very frustrated about not getting my top priority items. Amazon were better and sending me by priority items for recently released films.

In the end I cancelled Amazon because of their smaller library. Now I have under 20 films on my Rental List and I am happy about receiving priority items.

Keithhampson

Hi, just wondered before I sign up to Lovefilm if you would be so greatful to answer a couple of questions for me,

1. if a dvd has more than 1 disc to it for instance a sitcom, does it still count as 1 dvd or are the discs counted seperatly.

2. are unused dvd carried over to the next month, so I sign up for the 2 max per month but only use 1, will I be allowed 3 next month.

3. how does it work exactly, do I created a list of dvds I want and then they send me when they arrive back in stock

4. what is the turnaround time like from posting a dvd back to recieving the next.

Cheers chaps for your help.

Regards Keith

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Hi, just wondered before I sign up to Lovefilm if you would be so greatful to answer a couple of questions for me,

1. if a dvd has more than 1 disc to it for instance a sitcom, does it still count as 1 dvd or are the discs counted seperatly.

Discs are counted seperately.

2. are unused dvd carried over to the next month, so I sign up for the 2 max per month but only use 1, will I be allowed 3 next month.

I'd say not, but not 100% sure as I'm on the 3 at a time option myself.

3. how does it work exactly, do I created a list of dvds I want and then they send me when they arrive back in stock

You create a list of things you want, you can give them a priority of High/Med/Low. If available they'll send you one of your high priorities, if not then Med and so on.

4. what is the turnaround time like from posting a dvd back to recieving the next.

Postal strikes aside, I find them very quick on turnaround. Post a DVD back to them on Monday, they receive it Tues and send out the next one, which I receive on Wednesday.

luKasledge

When you want to cancel your account just before the free trial ends how do you do that?

What do you say I can't find a proper email adress?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thread moved to DVD Suppliers forum. :)

pjclark1

When you want to cancel your account just before the free trial ends how do you do that?

What do you say I can't find a proper email adress?

You have to phone em up.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone