Lovefilm - ****/elbow interface error

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by 16to9, Apr 17, 2007.

1. 16to9

16to9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Today I received two mailshots from Lovefilm... one a letter asking me to return, the other a glossy personalised leaflet also asking me to return. A friend had the same.

Now I don't know if they are keen to appear desperate - or if there are two sets of people at Lovefilm trying to do the same job - but it certainly looks pretty overeager from my point of view.

They're offering 3 months for the price of 1.

Hey Lovefilm, if you're watching: I left cuz you didn't send me any films I wanted. Until the point where you became [email protected] - about 6 months before I decided to say goodbye - I was happy with you.

Anyway, for the record, I'm now with Blockbuster who have really got their act together since I last tried (about 18 months ago - their web site is actually usable now) and I'm happy there. I'm actually happy there despite paying more than I did for LF - but at least I'm getting what I pay for.

And how about this as something to think about: don't boast that if I come back I'll have 60,000 movies to see. The 60,000 is not the reason I joined - it's the ten that are top of the rental charts at any particular point in time.

Remember: underneath every long tail is a mighty big ass.

2. Mickey G

Mickey G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still with lovefilm. How long does it takes for blockbuster to turn DVD's around?

3. 16to9

16to9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They're very quick. They still offer I trial I expect - try them out.

4. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I got the same mailshot offering me 3 months for the price of 1 if I return to Lovefilm. What made me laugh was this came a few days after I'd already rejoined them on a 3 months free trial! Might see if I can use both offers to get 6 months for the price of 1! :)

5. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    they are only value for money at the 3 for 1... otherwise rubbish

like you say you never get a top 10 ten title

though one of my 3 months trials I rented 47 titles for an average of 57p

anyway got the letter and I will not be going back

6. AES256

AES256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm sadly still on a pre-pay with LF but will not be extending my subscription with them if they haven't improved when the pre-pay period comes to an end.

My main issue, and it's been mentioned before is that LF's turn-around is throttled, meaning that they hold back sending out the next disc(s) by one or two days after receiving a disc back at their depot. This does not constitute "unlimited rental".
    On a less negative note, putting non-Top 10 titles in your "high prio" list usually leads to them actually sending those out.
    On the other hand, I've now had some 10 HD DVD titles in my high prio list for the past month and only received 2 of them so far... which I understand to be par for the course.

Blockbuster's, on the other hand turns over discs the same day they get them back; which is brilliant.
    And titles comprising 2 discs (e.g. with bonus disc) are treated as 1 rental! Not 2, as is the case with LF.

On a negative note with BB, I've found in the last 3 months or so that, where they used to send me discs in the order in which I'd put them on my list, they now only send me discs that are some 10 to 15 or more places further down on my list... I've had some 8 titles sit there at the #1 to #8 spot for a month now and not been sent them :mad:

Anybody having the same experience?
    (titles at the top of my list are a mix of new titles like Happy Feet and older titles like Reds)

7. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    I tried a few then got annoyed, went back to local Global and BB but I use them sporadically now as I need to watch some TV boxsets which sit in their shrink wrap at present.

Liam

8. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    I've just cancelled lovefilm a couple of weeks back and I was offered 3 months for the price of 1 to try and retain me - didn't work.

My main gripe was that I could have new releases sitting for 6 months before getting them - if I put an older film on the list (even at the bottom) it came out straight away. In fact some of the movies came on sky quicker than I could get them from lovefilm.

9. Praxidike

Praxidike
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    They also sent me two letters to return, both with the same "unique" code to return for 3 months for the price of one, and they couldn't agree on the numbers either - one saying the DVDs cost me an average of £0.30, another saying £0.67. All the other numbers were mixed up too...

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,661
    This was the (and the only) reason why I gave up on them.

I never had many blockbuster titles in my selection, often a whole load of older titles that I was just catching up on.

OK, you can blame the Royal mail for some delays but time after time, my disc would go back and I wouldn't get a dics for 3-5 days.

Simply not good enough.

On the 1 film subscription (was £9.99 a month) you'd be lucky to get through 5 titles. Average £2 a time.

Simply not worth the aggro.:thumbsdow

11. bferbrache

bferbrache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Do Blockbuster rent HD DVD or Bluray?

Brian

12. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Blockbuster do blu-ray.
    Went to the barrow-in-furness one a few weeks ago and they had some blu-ray (about 10 titles).
    No HDDVD and i think thats still the case.

13. bferbrache

bferbrache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I meant online, do blockbuster do HD DVD, I think Lovefilm are the only ones

Brian