1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LoveFilm DVD rentals deliberately slow!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by west, May 18, 2005.

1. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody else noticed the level of service provided by LoveFilm DVD rentals has dropped substantially over the last month? I seem to be constantly waiting for DVDs on an unlimited package of 3 DVD's at a time but seem to be lucky to get 3 DVDs per week even though there's plenty of time to receive and watch more. :mad:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Definately. Have a look in the thread "Rental" and you will see that others are having problems as well. I'm fed up with them now, for the whole of this week I've only had one DVD on rental when I should be on 3 DVDs unlimited. They are still asking for you to recommend to a friend, so I suggest anyone who's fed up with them do something like I have.
    Edit
    I've just spoken to customer services on 0870 240 1637 and spoken to someone there about my problems and my thoughts about the poor service. It might be worth other people ringing so that they can gauge the level of the problem.

3. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid not, I'm not even sure if you can rent those sort of DVDs? I suppose even if you could they would be censored?

I'll try that John G and see if ringing them makes any difference.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    my mum new the original founder - when it was dvds on tap, i dont know if he still owns it but i will have a word. I switched to blockbuster ages ago because lovefilm deliberately gave priority to free trials on new dvds, but now blockbuster stopped solo, so im back to lovefilm!

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I use them via Sainsbury's website and everything was great during my free trial period.

Ever since though I've had various excuses from them including problems with Royal Mail delivery. If you complain by phone or e-mail your discs will be sent out that day, however I will be cancelling my subscription before the next payment is due.

I've tried most of these firms and DVDS365.com seems to be the best of the bunch. Not perfect mind you, but faster turnaround then Blockbuster, Tesco, CD-Wow and Sainsbury's/Love Film

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use em for CD Wows service and so far ( 2 weeks in ) its been ok, i have noticed though that on 2 occasions its said shipped all 3 dvds and one arrives and then 2 days later another 2 which seems odd but even if i get 3 a week and 12 a month it still beats my local high street shop by about £1.30 per title so although i might have reason to complain and probably will complain at some point its still cheaper than the high street.

7. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny I wish complaining made a difference since I've already complained twice this week and as of yesterday they haven't sent anything out. I expect some DVDs would be sent out today of course I will check later to make sure.

I Agree it works out well price wise Foxy Mulder but when you're paying for an unlimited service you don't expect to be waiting all week for three DVDs, you expect them to provide as many as you want and not deliberately hold DVDs back

8. Codfish

Codfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought i would give love film another try after experenceing problems last year
    First two weeks ok but not one dvd arrived last week with 70 in list
    Tried blockbuster friday night they must work weekends 3 dvds arrived monday morning
    I know its to early to tell but what did impress me is that these were all special editions so 6 discs arrived with Lovefilm that would have took 6 rentals

9. mark pallister

mark pallister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yea lovefilm definetly slow,only managed 3 films per week
    always return them next day but makes no differance
    not much of a saving on renting from a shop and at least u know what u are getting!!

gone with screen select 6 movies a week up to now

10. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah Deffo Gone Slow Signed Up For 1 Month Plus 2 Months Free Offer ......started Off Great But Lately Lucky If I Get 2 A Week .
    On Occasions When They Have Received 3 Back They Only Ship 1 Out Also When They Say Shipped In Post Dont Believe Them As It Takes 3 Days To Arrive When It Was Only Taking 1 Day.......yeah Royal Mail R sh*te But Love R Deffo Taking The **** Will Be Cancelling @ End Of Offer 4 Sure.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I've just cancelled my membership as my next payment was due on the 7th and my next rentals were not due to come out to me until Friday. Not good to be without a single DVD all week.

12. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Chaps...

ME TOO!

I have been with them since CD-WOW started thier service and they have definately gone down hill in the last 4-5 weeks.

Prior to that, they were in my opinion the very best, beating three others I tried before finding them.

I have just "froxzen" my account with them to give it a month or so before cancelling totally... I hope they wake up to the press and get thier finger out.

Has anyone had a sensible reply from thier customer service?

As was said earlier... I used to be ablke to get 6 movies (2 batches of 3) in one week.... which was really good value. Now its hardly even 3 a week, the local hire shop is looking attractive.,...

DJ

13. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My account is currently blocked as 4 times disk haven't arrived. Been just over a week now. The first 3 were in one order and once I complained they looked in to it and sent the exact 3 disks that supposedly went missing, but to me look like they messed up. So now with the fourth disk not arriving they have blocked my account while they investigate :(

Anyway I will cancel before next payment as deliverly has slowed down for me as well.

14. wackyraces

wackyraces

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use them via Sainsburys. During the trial they were great but they really have slowed down. I never seem to be getting 3 dvds, which is what my subscription is. If nothing improves, I shall be cancelling and trying another company.

15. Vorix

Vorix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been with them via CD-WOW for a few months now and still find the service excellent. On the other hand, I struggle to get through 3 discs in a week (probably more like 3 every two weeks at the moment) so I'm probably classed as a comparatively 'low usage' customer compared to some of the other posters on here who seem to watch them as soon as they arrive and post them back the next day (how do you find the time?)
    I'm sure their systems monitor usage - I was trying to work out their postage costs. Assuming they pay 30p per DVD each way, that's 60p per DVD shipped in total. If you have three on the go at once then you could probably get through about 5 a week (assuming a 3 day turnaround and taking weekends into account) - that's 20 a month or £12 in postage alone. It doesn't leave much margin to run the rest of the business with, let alone make a profit. So, I wonder if they deliberately 'slow down' the high usage customers to try and actually make some money. It's a bit like capping high usage BB customers. Perhaps they will have to formally introduce a cap on the number per month they'll actually ship - it's the only way I can see the business model working in the long term.

16. devilsprey2004

devilsprey2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: hi this lovefilm is that five movie club cos im with them and only been with them a month and and its just started to drag any advice on what i can do :)

thanks

:smashin:
    marc

17. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I have used them for anout 5 months now, was getting about 6 fims a week, then they started slowing down the turn around to about 3 a week. In the last week i have had 1 disc from them and this wasnt even on my list :mad:
    They cant keep up with demand.I will cancel this month and try another company.
    Any one use Blockbuster? what are they like

18. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently signed up for tesco rental, im finsind them dead slow too, and one of my dvd's seems to have gone missing allready :(

19. Nobu

Nobu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quit Love film when i got films low on my list (17,18,19 then 18,19 then 17,19,20). The service was never slow though.

20. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Over the past two years i have tried every company out there at least twice!
    A lot of free trials and a few subscriptions, its always been the same. The first month during the free trial they cant get dvds out quickly enough. I was watching over 20 a month at one point then it just stops.

Im currently back with Lovefilm which i have to say is the best company ive tried (this is my third time with them) Im on a buy 1 month get 2 free. And suprise suprise my first month is over and they have dried up. I have 38 movies in my list and they manage to send me nos 29, 36 and 38, yet for the past month they have all been from the top 10! Plus they are deliberately slowing things down, my discs arrive back on tue and they dont send more out till the fri?!

Ive emailed them several times but never get any joy. :thumbsdow

21. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've had exactly the same problem with lovefilm and the buy one month get two free. Good service at first now I keep seeing this

I know they (like other companies) hold off updating your account when they think the DVD's are coming back to them too fast but this is annoying, I'm seeing the above message every time I return them now and it's not like the discs on my list are new releases in high demand.

I emailed them before and they said it was due to them being busy, fair enough once but it keeps happening now.

That combined with the amount of scratched discs makes me wonder if rentals are worth the hassle especially when it takes months to work through a TV series of multiple discs.

22. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    the best one i had was i rented the series 24 (season 3) even though i had requested them to be sent in order they sent them out disc 1, 2, which i watched then discs 4 5 and 6! really useful! so i send them back and complained. they send out disc 3 but never sent 4 5 and 6 out again!

dan i agree, dont rent out tv series!

23. mcmad

mcmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    anyone else get a mail this morning with the new offer ?

unlimited (although dont know if thats true or not), 8 disks at a time for 39.99 a month

24. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    anyone use dvds365.com? they are brilliant, always sent out same day as recieving, have all new releases ready for everyone, and ive used lovefilm and blockbuster in the past, dvds365 are by far the best.

25. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Returned my 3 discs monday (booked in by them) as of yesterday nothing sent out.

Site appears to have vanished now though ?

Edit - back up now, temporary hitch maybe

26. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've been grinding through 24 series 1 from Amazon no problem... must admit I'm getting a little weary though, somehow this series just doesn't light my fire as much as it does for other people! And if Kim gets abducted once more, any remaining threads of believability will disappear altogether!...PJ :)

27. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i cancelled my lovefilm membership after a slow down in service, i had a 3 dvd's at a time package and i was only getting sent 1 or 2 at a time.
    Whenever i emailed their customer service department their responses were as if they hadnt read my complaint.
    im with blockbuster now, 2 weeks free and same price as lovefilm per month

28. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Like everyone here, I went through all the free trials.

Lovefilm were leagues ahead of all the others.

So I went back to them.

But just like you all, it's now slow and the priority list may aswell not be there. I ask for Meet the Fockers as No.1 for 2 weeks! Turned up today. Had plenty of bottom listed ones though in the mean time.

Terrible service when you can walk into any blockbuster and get it from the shelf there and then!

I'll email them and point them to this thread so they can see what they may lose.

I signed back up with them for 3 months at half price, 3 dvds at a time, unlimited. We'll see how long that lasts.

By the way, I did notice today that there are new terms and conditions posted on the website. Don't know what the differences are though.

29. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well at least their automated response is fast. :D

I really would like to see a response from Lovefilm.

If not, it's no problem for me to go Blockbuster.....

30. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I was with Lovefilm for 6 months, watching at least 3 movies a week but recently the service has been appalling. Some weekends left with nothing to watch despite a waiting list of 15 movies.

My selection of 15 movies were fairly new releases but I expect with the wave of new customers, they just hadn't stock piled enough copies.

Not paying my £15 a month for that, so after a few complaining e-mails I actually received my 1st choice movie!! After that though the DVDs dried up again.

I therefore decided to cancel my membership and consider some of the other options out there. I may even go back to the local Blockbusters at least you get,what you want to what, when you want to.