Lovefilm.com discussion Pt 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Garrett, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,908
    from part 1

2. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Another week another two films from my top list sent out, again only added the week before whilst my other top choices languish in the list. It comes to something when my law abiding wife says "can't you just, you know get them I'm fed up of waiting"

3. W0LFIE

W0LFIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    I upgraded from Instant to the full monty on Sunday pending all my local Blackbusters about to close.
    I added about 20 titles to my lists and got my top 3 choices dispatched yesterday. It says I have Beast of Southern Wild, Untouchable and GAme of Thrones Season 1 at home now. If they're on my doormat tonight I'm well impressed. :smashin:

4. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    I've mostly been very happy with their service over the last year. I get three discs a week and 70% of the time it's my top choices. I think they do throttle your service a bit if you send every disc back the next day. I generally wait to send back discs on a Wednesday or Thursday because on Thursday they add the new releases to your waiting list. I make those my high priority, get them the next day and keep them till the following Wednesday. Seems to work for me. The only frustrating thing is that you can't get Fox Blu-rays from them, but that's not their fault.

5. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Overall despite my moaning I think the service represents excellent value for money and I get through around 2 discs a week so I wouldn't say I'm going over the top, I might give it a try though sending back later in the week.

One thing that has been great is discovering lots of films from the trailers on the discs

6. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Lovefilm has quietly discontinued account holidays, an optionally twice-yearly account & payment pause. This is tantamount to a stealth price hike and accordingly I have cancelled my membership since I prefer to not pay for services that I can't enjoy while absent.

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Over the years I've had excellent service from them, and I continue to do so, but as I generally only hire anime I tend to get what I've requested. Doesn't seem any point in getting new films as I pay for a full movie service from Sky to so I'd only end up paying twice for everything, hence the anime as I wouldn't buy many of them outright anyway.

Also like the streaming service that's essentially buckshee as I still pay the same as I always did just for the disc hire. Would be nice if they upped the HD content and also included a 5.1 sound track, but for a freebie service I'm not complaining.

Regards

Mark

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    I was considering taking a 2-3 month holiday break from Lovefilm as I am on 3 at a time and lately been having difficulty in finding really good movies to watch. I was surprised to find the payment holiday option has disappeared, anyone know when this happened please I see toodeep has also posted about this.

I could drop down to 2 at a time but that is not much cheaper so a 3 month break would have meant there would have been a build up of films I really wanted to watch and could have resumed again for another 9 months or so. I don't really want to cancel so feel it's a shame they have discontinued this option which I used once before a couple of years ago when I had the same problem finding good movies to watch.

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    Looking into their system it appears this started in July and if you had already booked a holiday it could still be taken but after 1st Oct even that is being stopped.

I have just taken my membership down from 3 to 2 and will save £3.20 per month and will see how that goes.

10. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I was in a similar situation so ended my sub, I was immediately offered a reduced price package but still left. I have now been offered twice 3 months for the price of 1 but alas the list of films i want to watch is still not big enough to return

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    I watch a lot of films (around 12-15 per month) and I get bluray's only as I watch on my projector with a 100" screen so dvd are just not good enough at this size.

That is part of the problem as there have been quite a number of movies that are only available on dvd so I can't watch those, hopefully reducing to 2 movies at a time I will be down to around 10 a month and should be able to leave out the poorer quality movies like teen slasher/some american comedy films/lower budget poorly acted and badly written movies.:D

12. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I can relate as we had the 2 unlimited package and with a fast turnaround its easy to get through them. Not sure if you recall but it was reading a lot of your guidance that helped me choose my PJ. Nowhere near as professional as your setup but it pleases the wife enough

13. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    Yes colonelb I remember and glad to have been of service, I am pleased that you got a pj as it's the only way to watch movies IMV.:thumbsup:

14. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Cancellation is the new account holiday. Cancelled accounts remain available for reactivation and lists can continue to be managed in the meantime. Just be sure to tell Lovefilm why you're cancelling in the first place and maybe Amazon will reintroduce the nicer holiday feature.

15. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    i think they have improved over the last few months, it used to be difficult to get the priority new films and they often ignored all my favourite choices to the point where i complained (which seemed to help for a couple of weeks)

they are now much improved (touch wood) i currently have iron man 3 / Star Trek ID / Cloud Atlas which were the 3 films on my favourites and all are relatively new

it is annoying when certain films are not available but that is down to the studios

overall very good value for money if you watch loads of films

16. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    I have been pretty lucky with my priority list and seem to get new releases the week they come out or a week later in the most part. I am up to 850+ movies now from lovefilm since I joined about 41/2 years ago and find it very good value as it costs me on average less than £1 per rental, all my rentals bar about a dozen have been bluray or hddvd's.