• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Lovecraft Country (HBO)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
‘Get Out’s Jordan Peele staying in the same genre, as he teams With WBTV, HBO & Bad Robot For ‘Lovecraft Country’ (the 2016 novel from Matt Ruff,) Drama Series. The pilot will be written by Misha Green, who will also be the anthology series’ showrunner.

Lovecraft Country will tell the story of Atticus Black, a 25 year old man who goes on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America looking for his missing father. Atticus, his Uncle George and a friend named Letitia fight the evils of men, as well as some other evils that malevolent spirits have stolen from a H.P. Lovecraft novel.

ldfzw8tz4i2zridscopg.jpg

mafaa

Distinguished Member
‘Lovecraft Country’: Courtney B. Vance, Aunjanue Ellis & Elizabeth Debicki Join HBO Drama Series
Vance’s George Black, has always been more like a father to Atticus (Majors). Warm, funny, and well read, he was the first to introduce Atticus to the wonderful and strange world of pulp novels. As the publisher of the “Safe Negro Travel Guide” he’s been on enough adventures to understand there’s no place like home.
Ellis is Hippolyta Black, George’s wife, Atticus’s aunt, and a star gazer. She’s been a housewife most of her life with dreams of getting into some adventures of her own, despite her husband’s misgivings. Her itch for adventure will eventually, literally and figuratively, take her to the stars and beyond.
Debicki portrays Christina Braithwhite, the only daughter of Samuel Braithwhite, the leader of a secret order calling themselves the “Sons of Adam.” She’s gone to great lengths to earn her father’s respect, to no avail. She’s going to pave her own path to power, and she’s going to use Atticus and his family to do it.

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Hailing from showrunner and executive producer Misha Green, Lovecraft Country will debut on HBO on Sunday, August 16 from 9:00 to 10:00 ET/PT. The show will proceed to air the subsequent episodes in its ten-episode run on Sundays in that time slot. Each episode of Lovecraft Country will also be available to stream on HBO Max.

manija

Novice Member
Have I just seen Omar / Chalky White in the trailer :clap:?
I hope his along for the ride, not just short/expendable/being killed in the 1st episode guy.

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
Pretty much enjoyed this especially its Twilight Zone style opening what followed lost my attention a bit but it soon pulled me back in with the wtf events that followed during its final 30 mins, looks the part visually but could have done without the music number fillers, a decent opener and will see how the next episode pans out to see if it's gonna be a stayer.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Pretty much enjoyed this especially its Twilight Zone style opening what followed lost my attention a bit but it soon pulled me back in with the wtf events that followed during its final 30 mins, looks the part visually but could have done without the music number fillers, a decent opener and will see how the next episode pans out to see if it's gonna be a stayer.

#1 Sundown
Its not highly original like Watchman, less Lovecraftian than i hoped in the opening episode, but makes up for it in last 20mins, some of the CGI stands out too much. mostly a human drama with man being monsters. Nice period setting, showing the ugly history of america. Only the start, it could widely improve down the line! 7.4/10

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I thought it felt like it could have been part of an alternate universe timeline like Watchmen, almost like a spin-off of that. It felt very much part of that world.
I liked it so far but it's the kind of thing that could derail very quickly. Could be very good, though. The ending did make me want to watch ep2 straight away

Roohster

Distinguished Member
A really slow start to episode one, but definitely worth hanging in there for the last 20 minutes or so.

I thought it was really good overall with a likeable cast, decent story (so far)... and the vfx aren't bad at all.

One gripe; audio levels were ridiculously low, possibly the lowest I've ever seen on any show.

Last edited:

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Agree the audio was awful...had to blast it up on talking then when they was having the party booom! First time ive had to engage dynamic eq...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom