Question Love it or List it - Meridian 500 series

voxish

Standard Member
OK hive mind, I've had my Meridian 551 and 555 (bi-amping) with 506.24 CD player bought new 20+ years ago.
I have a Pro-Ject 2Xperience acryl with 2M bronze cartridge for my vinyl. I have a large record collection ranging from joni mitchell, caravan, pink floyd, grateful dead etc to hawkwind and heavy krautrock.

I recently sold my excellent PMC TB1's (they no longer fit our decor) and am temporarily using a pair of B&W 607's (an absolute bargain at £279).

My dilemma is: I love the sound of my Meridian amp (which has recently been re-capped), the CD player is also superb although I mostly listen to vinyl. I'm looking for a pair of excellent aesthetically interesting (ie not a big oblong slab) small standmounts to match up to my Meridian system. OR should I ditch my Meridian amp/cd for a more modern system or even go down the active speaker route? I'm aware of the sunk cost fallacy!

My realistic budget for a pair of speakers is £1-2K.... technical advances notwithstanding, my Meridian system was upper mid-range in its day (I paid something like £850 each for the amp/power amps and £1200 for the CD player and £700 for the PMC's in 2000). Not sure what the equivalent is nowadays or how much it would cost.

Love it or List it?

Last edited:

muljao

If you like your amp and cd player I'd keep them and just buy the speakers

voxish

Standard Member
If you like your amp and cd player I'd keep them and just buy the speakers
Thanks for your input, those were my first thoughts too - but my question is, beyond that, what's out there to match the amp without spending a stupid amount of money?

How do active speakers stack up against this setup using the 551 just as a pre-amp? Would (say) a pair of LS50 Wireless ii or Dali Callisto actives be equivalent to using my amp and a decent £1-2K pair of passive speakers? And which speakers?

phil t

Neat sx2 or if wife and budget allow, neat sx1. Musical and detailed yet not fatiguing.

voxish

Standard Member
Neat sx2 or if wife and budget allow, neat sx1. Musical and detailed yet not fatiguing.

Yes - but this is the nub of the problem. I tried a pair of PMC GB1i's which sounded fabulous but unfortunately they were vetoed by both wife and daughter, "ugly and old-fashioned" - I assume they were talking about the speakers o_O.

Floorstanders aren't an option even after my explanation of the laws of physics. I could probably get away with a sub but the speakers need to be small and not advertising their presence (I can't think of a better way to describe it).

phil t

voxish

Standard Member
They look very nice but maybe too small? I'd definitely need to use a sub with them for rock (and I want to avoid that if possible). In the absence of hifi shops being open for demoing I'm buying blind. The Kef or Dali actives might work but wireless or wired?

Last edited:

JMJW

Novice Member
If it’s not too late to reply, if you love the Meridian sound but want a nice, small-ish, aesthetically pleasing ‘active’ speaker to replace your setup you would likely love a used pair of Meridian DSP3100. They’re small, the bead-blasted and brightened aluminium side panels (on the silver finish) make them look modern and elegant, they have the Meridian ‘house sound’ and due to DSP they’ll sound better than what you had, and won’t need a sub unless you’re a complete bass-head.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom