"Love", Can it be ?

kmb

Standard Member
Sunday afternoon, just had a very nice pub lunch washed down with a few beers, time to chill out. Sitting here in the semi darkness of the home cinema room, The Beatles, "Love" has been playing in glorious surround sound, track 26 has just finished. Can it be ? Its the last track, but I WANT MORE !!
Having been a Beatles fan for many a long year I didn't think that there was anything more that could be released from the back catalogue that would generate a fresh interest in the band's music. But this is it, totally familiar, yet different in interpretation and the sound quality is superb. I can only hope that any future re-release of their albums will be remastered with same care and attention that this compilition has.

andrewtayloruk

Not only a new journey for those people who appreciate the original material, also a nice introduction for people with more modern tastes. At a snip under 30 I've never been into the Beatles, however, I picked this up as I was interested in the concept of the producer going back to the studio after all these years with the original tapes and re-creating a new sound. I've not had a massive chance to listen to it yet, and I've only listened on 'dolby digital' headphones, but already I'm eager for more. The intricacy of the mix, as well as the clarity is suprising; I've always thought of the Beatles making catchy 2 minute 60's pop, but, when listening to Elanor Rigby / Strawberry Fields / All You Need Is Love the arrangement is extremely deep. I've been reading about how Lennon was quite the master of the studio. Those sentiments are clearly apparent in this recording, George Martin has captured his essence extremely well; it's also quite fascinating to pick out snippets of other Beatles material mixed on some of the tracks.

I'm going to give it a proper work-out over Christmas once I've got my surround sound back-up and running post decorator.

Thumbs Up.

the_pauley

Banned
George Martin, and the engineers working under him, were the masters of the studio. The band would tell him that they wanted it to sound like "this" and he would turn it into reality.

Again, contrary to myth, of the band members McCartney was actually the first to get experimental with studio sound, not Lennon. "Tomorrow Never Knows" (John's song) on "Revolver" was the first major psychedelic explosion of sound, but much of the soundscape was implemented at the instigation of Paul who was experimenting with tape loops, backwards recording, etc, due to a newly found obsession with avant garde composers such as Stockhausen and Co.

Kenny Glasgow

Quite Pauley, Macca NEVER gets the credit he deserves

Macca indeed was into tape loops in 66 and for tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows there were about 5-6 different loops running and mixed live into the control desk by George Martin.

There are a few different mixes of TNK that were made commercially available on various mono, stereo and overseas releases all with slightly different loops playing away in the background.

Originally John wanted Tibetan monks chanting in the background as some of the lyrcs come from the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

There is a track called Carnival of Light that has erm...never seen the light of day as yet, not even on bootlegs, that Macca compiled in 66, which is all tape loops and various things turned upside down and back to front

John then started experimenting with tape loops etc especially in the early Yoko years of 68/69 and on Revoltion 9 on the White Album

Not to forget George as he did release Electronic Sound in 1969 on the Zapple lable which has two sides full of moog knoodlings

pmc

Whilst it sounds stunning and has some great new inteperetations it seems a little bitty to me. It keeps jumping too quickly from one song to another.

Do the words 'Jive' and 'Bunny' sping to mind for anyone else?

russ123

Was thinking more Stars On 45 myself:D Have to admit to being a bit disappointed with this myself as well. My opinion has improved though with repeated listens. Only listened to the 5.1 version once but that seemed to have a bit more to it (and not just the surround aspect). I was surprised how unradical a lot of the reworkings are. I've got all the Anthology albums and a lot of the versions seem to mimic those.

Kenny Glasgow

Whilst it sounds stunning and has some great new inteperetations it seems a little bitty to me. It keeps jumping too quickly from one song to another.

:eek:

Remember that everything you hear are original recordings with nothing added (apart from the strings on While My Guitar Gently Weeps).

Apart from the Beatles and strings the only other peole on there were at the original sessions, namely George Martin, Bill Preston, Nicky Hopkins & Chris Thomas on various keyboards

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom