Love Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Mar 4, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      “Does it bother you that we are not real?”

Despite what many writers and directors will try to promote, pretty much all movies are quite formulaic. The beginning will set the scene, identify the era, genre, main characters and plot points, the middle will develop the story and then set us up for the end. Heroes will generally survive, but if they do die, it will be during the finale, usually in the arms of their significant love interest. Anything outside of these parameters is considered quite avant-garde, so quite where does this leave Will Eubank’s Love?

To call this a sci-fi movie is to misunderstand quite what Eubank was trying to achieve. It is much more of a conceptual arts piece set to the weird and wonderful sounds of alternative rock super group Angels and Airways. In fact as the band produced the movie, one could almost think of it as an extended music video! Led by Blink 182 guitarist Tom DeLonge, Angels and...

Read the full review...

2. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,589
      Nice review thank you, i never did get to see this at the cinema so i will have to satisfy myself with the blu :)

3. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +311
      On its way from Lovefilm, so looking forward to seeing it - some dodgy reviews on Lovefilm, but then most of the stuff on there gets bad reviews because there are too many numpties allowed to open accounts.

Not sure the wife shares my enthusiasm for the opportunity to watch the film, but you never know:devil:

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,703
      Thanks for the comments. Like I said in the review, it is not a sci-fi film per-se. I watched it with my wife and we got different things out of it, but both enjoyed it. It is a piece of art, just a slightly flawed one, that's all.

5. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +311
      Watched this last night and, must admit, I really liked it. It is a bit rough around the edges, but I thought it was a pretty good interpretation of Lee's mind slowly fracturing as he is stranded alone on the ISS.

There are definite nods to 2001, Solaris and it even made me think of Sunshine in a few places. I don't think it needs to be fully explained or understood...you take from it what you will....a treatise on solitude, love, life and what it means to be part of something.....going from a god-like position of overseeing the whole of the Earth, to complete solitude and loneliness....almost like 2001 in reverse....sort of.....

But it plays well with the viewers minds as well - what is really happening towards the end - is he dead or alive - is this all happening in his mind? I think there is a pivotol scene where Lee makes a major decision about his future
      floating above the earth connected the ISS by only a thin rope, hand on the bracket holding him in place
      and, although we may not know whether this takes place in his mind or not, everything after is questionable as there is a minor hint later in the film that, perhaps, he made a different choice to the one that is initially portrayed.

Simple things like the length of his beard play with our perception of time.

Not to everyone's tastes (the good lady wife fell alseep;)), but I think that, if you like challenging Sci-Fi and are not afraid to have to think about how the threads of the film all fit together (or not) then I would recommend you give it a go - at only 80 minutes it is not going to be too much of a waste of time if you don't like it - and it left me with lots to think about after viewing....it is one of those films that dares the viewer to make up their own mind about the meaning behind it all and what the themes of the film are trying to tell us....