Love and Monsters (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

I bet when Tom wrote this review he couldn’t have foreseen so much controversy over the 5/10 score! I’m actually struggling to score out of 10 these days and have returned to 1-5 rating system. I bet if you scored it 2.5/5, there’d be less outcry. :D

Re-vise the score(verse)!

Some work friends of mine (Who really do know their wines) were once discussing a good bottle they were trying, with statements about "good Body" & "Fruity" & "a hint of berries" "I taste vanilla" etc. During a pause in the conversation, another friend (An avid Beer Drinker) suddenly asked "But is their any Wine in it?"
Feels like this discussion about the Movie has suffered the same fate. ;-)

Just my thoughts - AVF movie reviews already use 'unmissable', 'highly recommended' and 'recommended' tags (maybe there's more?) - so perhaps scores out of 10 could be reserved solely for audio/video/etc quality. That said, there was a lot of initial kickback on gaming websites that dropped numerical scoring so perhaps AVF has decided it's less painful to keep things as they are.
At the end of the day who really cares about the score.. (I still watched it even though it was scored a 5) it’s the enjoyment we get from it.. as above I think leave a score for av equipment and changing to a naming convention for film etc reviews could work better. Reading the review gives more detail but the heading could be... Keeping it simple something like...
avoid
watchable
unmissable

...it’s the enjoyment we get from it..
As stated by someone previously, the score ends up being a "feelometer". This film is not as "good"as other 7/10 films, but it "feels" like it is. Being a few hours removed from it I can see why he scored it 5/10. But I still think 6/10 is a fairer score.

Keeping it simple something like...
avoid
watchable
unmissable
Yeah as I said before, this "might" make it easier. But then again I'm glad for the discussion otherwise I wouldn't have watched it

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite poor. More of a kids film, clichés galore, corny, cheesy. Great idea and could have been brilliant, but fell short.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, easy 7.5-8/10 for me.

Are we turning into Rotten Tomaotes? Where the snooty critics hate something that is popular with the downtrodden masses.

gettyimages-123152755-1024x1024.jpg

Down with the Elites :p :)

Are we turning into Rotten Tomaotes? Where the snooty critics hate something that is popular with the downtrodden masses.

View attachment 1496455

Down with the Elites :p :)

I wanted to laugh and like this post but it's not an option so I had to reply :)

It's funny because I really like this film and I really liked Godzilla v Kong, but both films divide opinion. I generally have a very very low bar for things that I think are 'stupid' or don't make sense in the context of any given film.

I've had to come to the conclusion that the difference between stupid and silly is different for everyone, is a function of anticipation levels and is also subject to mood. This may well be stating the obvious, I don't know.

Basically, read the reviews, read the scores, read the discussion, watch the film, then add to the discussion. Win win.

its the kind of movie you would feel robbed going to the cinema to watch but for a bit of throw away entertainment it was worth a watch at home. Far more enjoyable than Godzilla vs Kong.

its the kind of movie you would feel robbed going to the cinema to watch but for a bit of throw away entertainment it was worth a watch at home. Far more enjoyable than Godzilla vs Kong.

Did you watch Godzilla vs Kong on a big screen (100"+) with a big sound system?
I honestly think it's a spectacle that doesn't make sense on a small scale.

Just my thoughts - AVF movie reviews already use 'unmissable', 'highly recommended' and 'recommended' tags (maybe there's more?) - so perhaps scores out of 10 could be reserved solely for audio/video/etc quality. That said, there was a lot of initial kickback on gaming websites that dropped numerical scoring so perhaps AVF has decided it's less painful to keep things as they are.
I agree that scoring is always subjective.
5 made me jump and I don’t remember last time I posted anything here...
This movie is (again) no blade runner or equivalent but it made enough of an impression to make me comment about it...
Enough said really...
Keep safe

Did you watch Godzilla vs Kong on a big screen (100"+) with a big sound system?
I honestly think it's a spectacle that doesn't make sense on a small scale.
no, watched it my 65" Even in Imax it would be the same sh#te movie.

Enjoyed it, 7/10 for me.

In the fun film score I’d give it a 7, it’s no Tremors but it had some thought go into and heart go in. And nice little details such as the chandelier above his bunk in the shelter.

But then I’m a sucker for any film that has a dog charging to the rescue.

We watched it as a family last night. Thought it was an excellent "B" movie so it gets a 7 from us as well - certainly felt more visceral than GvK, which meant more hiding behind cushions for the kids. Totally agree with the review that it simply dialled home the standard tropes throughout, but we felt it did it pretty well, especially for our kids who haven't seen quite a few of the very obvious nods! They could have very much done more with the characters and overall narrative, but I'm hoping that comes with the sequel (if there is one) that will dial everything up to 11.

Watched this with the family yesterday and we all thoroughly enjoyed it...a good family, feel good movie...and a pooch for good measure.

Thanks for the review, don't agree with it, but we're all different and all like different things. For a Sunday movie night with the family it was spot on !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom