Love and Monsters (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

I thought this has been on Amazon for quite a while? Its not what I expected but I did kind of enjoy it. Nothing to write home about but I'd say 7/10

5 seems a bit harsh!
It was more of a 7 for me - nothing spectacular, but it had a good beat.

I thought this has been on Amazon for quite a while? Its not what I expected but I did kind of enjoy it. Nothing to write home about but I'd say 7/10

6-7 id say worth a second watch some time later on though .

I loved this film it was something fresh in-between marvel and DC overload. Thought the fact they didn't show too many creatures made it even better but when they did show them it wasn't the stereotypical style we see on other films. Solid 7.5/10 for me.

I would give it a 6 nothing special but a nice easy watch

I actually really enjoyed this film(got a cheap 4k code for us itunes) it made a refreshing change the whole love story bit was a surprise and added a real human element to the film.The cgi was decent too! I've seen much worse...it has a decent rematch element...I would of gave it a 8/10 but of course I respect your review and scoring everyone will have a different outlook.

5/10? That would normally be enough to put me off coming from the official AVF review, but I've been waiting for this for ages, so I'm hoping we beg to differ Tom...
Well it looks like I enjoyed it less than some.

It's okay. I think you can tell from the review I enjoyed it well enough.

It just doesn't do anything new. At all. And that was the biggest hurdle for me. It was like someone had traced around a painting I liked and then tried to sell it to me at the valuation price of the original.

I agree with the others, watched it ages ago and enjoyed it. Easy 7/10 as solid light entertainment.
It doesn't do anything original, but I don't remember it ever dragging and I'm sure the humour was pretty light hearted.

edit In fact now I think about it, I might even go back and watch it again :)

My wife and I were surprised by this movie. It isn’t life changing, but a solid 7 out of 10

I'd normally just ignore this after 5/10 but it seems to be getting some love here and definitely getting it elsewhere on the web so I'll give it a go the weekend

no idea where you've drawn that 5 from, its very watchable if a little by the numbers, a low 7.

Watching it now. Not terrible but a fair bit meh.

Still 30 mins left but it’s a 5-6/10 so far.

Well it looks like I enjoyed it less than some.

It's okay. I think you can tell from the review I enjoyed it well enough.

It just doesn't do anything new. At all. And that was the biggest hurdle for me. It was like someone had traced around a painting I liked and then tried to sell it to me at the valuation price of the original.
5/10 doesn't sound like you enjoyed it well enough. If your criteria now is whether a film offers something new or not to escape a felt conned analogy or, to garner more than a five then things will get interesting in here. Perhaps you've been staring at your colour grade chart too long, Tom.
I enjoyed it enough to not feel cheated or bored, as it pretty well delivers on what it says on the tin. C+ Oops.

I watched it tonight and I enjoyed it. i thought the film had more emotion than I thought and the dog was amazing. Yes it had some familiar beats but to be fair only so many ways you could do post apocalyptic and I enjoyed the lighter tone. It was certainly one of the better Netflix movies on recently and with Army of the Dead coming looks like Netflix are on a mini roll. So a solid 7/10 for me - george

I assume 5/10 just means it's average, not poor just doesn't do anything above that. Going to watch it sometime this week.

In a way, movies like this are like The Land That Time Forgot, Horror Express and Red Sonja, they're cinematic spackle, something we use to fill the cracks between watching 'real' movies. As such, they exist in the 0 - 5 end of the scale, where 3 is actually pretty good for a movie about a teenager fighting his way through insects to be reunited with his girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really enjoyed it. One of those movies that remind why you like movies in the first place. Much better than Godzilla vs Kong. I gave it 8.5/10.

Thanks for the review Tom

Solid 7. 5/10 for me, really enjoyed it 👏

If you can get past the directorial unevenness and generic comical style at the beginning, Love and Monsters gives you your moneys worth with its excellent set piece monster effects, in my opinion these Monsters are the real stars of this movie as trying to make sense out the rest of the screenplay and acting is a waste of viewing time, forget about that and just go with the monster flow.
Numerous movies may come to mind watching this film, such as : Jumani, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, Jurassic Park, or even The Mist. Those who are fans of Stranger Things will like the Dystopian aftermath created for this film, when mutant monsters rule the Earth.
There are far too many questions that challenge scientific logic in Love and Monsters so those who struggle with fantasy fictional tales will not want to watch this film anyway.
In some ways I felt more sorry for the Monsters than I did for the actors, I feel sure these Monsters will make a better job of preserving this planet environmentally than the human race did, perhaps subconsciously that is what the writers intended.
Interesting that an Australian CGI company had developed most of the effects, there are so many technically excellent SFX companies nowadays, sci-fi fans are being spoilt.
Also interesting to see that it had a budget of $30 million, I would say it would have cost $80 million in America.
My rating is: 7 out of 10 for the acting of the Monsters.

Hmmm interesting mix of comments. I’ll give it a go this weekend. Thank you for the review.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom