Love and Monsters (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Tim2049

The score is in the right kind of ball-park. It was on the better side of average, but it was an entertaining watch despite it being paint-by-numbers on pretty much every level.

The main protagonist was a bit annoying and his quips in the face of mortal danger got tiresome very quickly. That adorable dog stole the show...(!)

1080 jawbreaker

Yeah there needs to be an Oscar category for Best Animal Performance in a Motion Picture. The dog in this would win no question.
na, Kong would win only because his eyes never kept looking at his trainer :facepalm:

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I’ll have another try at watching this. Me and the Mrs put it on the other night and I turned it off within 10 minutes, and it’s very very rare we do that. Just couldn’t get into it at all.

Neversaynever

Standard Member
After reading your review, my expectations were not high, but this was a fun, feel good film, a solid 7. Think the giant toad was my favourite monster! :)

CrossyX

The reviews on here of late have a rotten tomatoes vibe, for me personally, I feel they are starting to be a little out of touch with the average viewer.

Jason72

It was a fun movie, the kind you watch with your family. Very entertaining and a solid 8 for me. Thankfully a large percentage of the posters on the thread tend to agree. I only spotted one Member who gave it a five. Thank you to Tom Davies for the review. It would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything.

wolfie138

agree w/ the 5, thought this was a bit meh, totally missed opportunity. the creatures were pretty good but the plot was disposable and had no real threat i felt ~ his battles w/ the major creatures just seemed to end abruptly w/ no tension. Rook was underused.

Captainoats

If one ends up reviewing lots of movies and tv shows it can sometimes cloud the overall enjoyable factor. I feel 5/10 is quite harsh as the movie did flow pretty well, FX were good and the acting was very good. Has it been done before, yes in some ways but it is so easy to pick faults of movies these days, as having watched so many, I myself sometimes forget to enjoy and end up finding flaws (I ripped apart Tenet and enjoyed it more 2nd time).

RebelScum

Thought it was an enjoyable movie, found the ending more touching than I would have otherwise, but with it coinciding with easing of lockdown measures, it managed to strike an emotional chord.

petekv32

Quick question! Gonna watch tonight but young teen kids get very upset if dog dies! Please feel free to spoiler but does the pooch survive?
thanks will decide if a watch or not...

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Quick question! Gonna watch tonight but young teen kids get very upset if dog dies! Please feel free to spoiler but does the pooch survive?
thanks will decide if a watch or not...

The dog is one of the main reasons to watch this. If they gave out oscars to animals for best supporting actor.....

petekv32

So does he survive to pick up the Oscar! Had too many dogs die on me over the years (in movies)
thanks Tom, just seen your reply....
appreciated

andynick42

Really enjoyed this. Very pleasant to watch a film where almost everyone is a nice person. The main character especially has to be one of the nicest guys in cinema. Genuinely had a smile on my face the entire film. 8.5/10 for me.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I really enjoyed it as a nice easy to watch movie with top class special affects. Doesn’t attempt to go deep, doesn’t patronise just nice characters and a decent story well told.
8/10 for me because of that. I put lighter movies like this in their own category like the Lost in Space movie with Matt LeBlanc in as a benchmark. More like this please Netflix

StrikerXL

I really enjoyed this movie! 😊
It even gave me some good old fashion Steven Spielberg vibes for some reason.
I'm definitely hoping it will come to 4K HD Blu-ray in the Benelux (EU) and perhaps that it even could get a larger sequel.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
A sequel would be nice. I get the Spielberg connection. SciFi with a smile

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
A sequel would be nice. I get the Spielberg connection. SciFi with a smile
Would love one if it included Rooker and his companion along with the main chars of this one otherwise its a no go from me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Deezer introduces 360 Sessions to showcase spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
E3 2021: Ten of the Best
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range