Love and Monsters (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Review Tom. I am really looking forward to never watching this.

crabby09

How "family friendly" we talking? Kids got through Godzilla vs Kong absolutely fine apart from when Kong enjoys some brain goop...

Bri2020

Watched this last night. A few enjoyable scenes, but mostly fairly bland I thought. I would agree with the 5 rating.

In terms of the family friendly question, I would say if your family would watch Jurassic Park then they would be able to watch this. Folk get chomped but no blood, gore, swearing.

Flynch191

Worth a watch ?.... meh... Younger kids/teens might enjoy it more..
If theres nothing else then give it a go...

5/10

I dont think you'll come away hugely disappointed..maybe a little.. just dont expect much from it.
Step down from Maze Runner.

stblob

Can't beat Monsters 2010, that was a fantastic movie, then you got Monsters Dark continent 2014, that was mediocre at best. I'll watch this one over the week end but I'm not holding high hopes for it, I mean, seriously? The title itself is almost a turn off.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
How "family friendly" we talking?

if your family would watch Jurassic Park then they would be able to watch this.
This seems about right to me. All the peril is bug based and there's no blood.
There are some mild/moderate sex references at the very beginning.

Monsters 2010
I mentioned this the other day in a post about Godzilla (2014). It's interesting to see where Gareth Edwards ported over some his awe-inspiring monster moments from one to the other, even if they didn't quite always fit in with the script.
There's nothing of that in Love and Monsters. But that's actually not a criticism, per se. It's a very different sort of movie: a very firmly PG young adult adventure.

Kamz

5/10 is very harsh, but then I thought 8/10 for the recent Godzilla was very generous. This is a fun, wholesome stab at the genre, solid 7.47/10 for me, and way more enjoyable than the bloated kaiju-fest.

Last edited:

rfield

5/10 is very harsh, but then I thought 8/10 for the recent Godzilla was a very generous. This is a fun, wholesome stab at the genre, solid 7.47/10 for me, and way more enjoyable than the bloated kaiju-fest.
Is that on the high or low end of 7.47 would you say? I’ve been pushing for avf review scores to three decimal places for ages, but haven’t had much uptake :(

Kamz

Is that on the high or low end of 7.47 would you say? I’ve been pushing for avf review scores to three decimal places for ages, but haven’t had much uptake :(
Defo a high 7.47.

VGzilla

Rooker, his companion, and the creature effects stole the show. However, quite refreshingly, 10/10 for...how do I say it...a conventional romance. Something to appreciate since we will be getting fewer and fewer of these.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Wow !!! 5/10 this is wayyyyy too harsh
I was just talking with my son how much we enjoyed it...the acting was half descent and the story original with some interesting twists...it is not blade runner for sure but we had a very nice time and this is more a 7-8/10 for us...
We are waiting for the sequel big time...

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
They definitely should rename this movie FIVE OUT OF TEN.

That way it would at least, occasionally, sound like we were talking about the movie, or the review of the movie, as opposed to a goddamn number, again.

Edit: I wonder whether this is why I always felt 8 1/2 was presumptively overrated.

rfield

That way it would at least, occasionally, sound like we were talking about the movie, or the review of the movie, as opposed to a goddamn number, again.

Edit: I wonder whether this is why I always felt 8 1/2 was presumptively overrated.
I never understood why it was called 8 1/2 anyway.
Fellini was European, so surely it should have been 8.5 ?

<watches tumbleweed>

edit: makes mental note not to make bad jokes about 60 year old art films

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I had no intention of watching this movie. Reading @Tom Davies review just confirmed my choice. But there was so much love for it in the thread I thought I would give it a go.

So the Atmos isn't great, it's OK but plays more like a channel based mix not object based. The HDR is nothing special but the picture quality is decent overall. As for the film itself, all I can say is:

Wow !!! 5/10 this is wayyyyy too harsh
... but we had a very nice time and this is more a 7-8/10 for us...
I used more letter a's and less letter y's for "waaaay" I was thinking and wrote exactly the same thing 7-8/10.

It's a heartwarming and funny film. I liked the main character, I liked the other ones too, especially Rooker and the young girl. Yes I can see all the borrowed bits from other films but I don't care. I think our Mr Davies is turning into Mr Scrooge :)

I can revise my score to nearly a 6 out of 10 and a half, if that helps?
It's definitely not a 5/10. This is an easy 7/10 and could go as high as 8/10

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
How came you by this Atmos and HDR?!
Enquiring minds want to know.
You really don't :) The slightly longer version is that the Atmos is DD+.

Last edited:

Flynch191

I’m amazed to see 8/10 thrown around... I mean that’s only 2 away from the best films you have seen in your life.. a 10/10.. a perfect film... far and few between.
You might have to go back and re-score all the other 8/10 films and up them up to a 9 .. and on and on.. I get we all got different scoring systems... there’s not many 10/10 films out there.. 9/10 are amazing.. and then there’s love and monsters.. right up there in some ppl’s top 20/30 films it seems.. sorry but I just don’t get the high scores.. don’t be afraid to give low scores people.. yes it’s watchable but nothing to write home about or discuss at the pub with your mates... I don’t think I could discuss all the elements of this film for longer than a couple minutes.

Sorry rant over and I’m sorry if I’m completely wrong here but I just don’t understand why soo much love for it.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I’m amazed to see 8/10 thrown around... I mean that’s only 2 away from the best films you have seen in your life.. a 10/10.. a perfect film... far and few between.
You might have to go back and re-score all the other 8/10 films and up them up to a 9 .. and on and on.. I get we all got different scoring systems... there’s not many 10/10 films out there.. 9/10 are amazing.. and then there’s love and monsters.. right up there in some ppl’s top 20/30 films it seems.. sorry but I just don’t get the high scores.. don’t be afraid to give low scores people.. yes it’s watchable but nothing to write home about or discuss at the pub with your mates... I don’t think I could discuss all the elements of this film for longer than a couple minutes.

Sorry rant over and I’m sorry if I’m completely wrong here but I just don’t understand why soo much love for it.
A simple hero's journey with decent acting, good SFX and uplifting narrative. Joel was likeable and given time to grow. Aimee and Minnow were believably kick-ass because a half decent narrative was built around them without the yay girl-power crap. The fight between Aimee and the female villain while Joel was stumbling around in the background dealing with the monster was fun. Michael Rooker is Michael Rooker :)

No it's not a straight 8/10 which is why I said 7-8/10 but could be as high as 8/10. But it's definitely not a 5/10 movie either. If you gave it a 6 then there probably wouldn't have been so much of a backlash and I probably wouldn't have watched it so thanks Tom :)

rfield

For me, compared to some of my all time favourite movies then of course this one isn't anywhere close to them - it's just an entertaining Nickelodeon-ish action comedy romp.

Between friends, one compares like with like though if scoring - so if, say, (one of Tom's mentioned homages) Zombieland was a 9 then a 7 seems fair (to me). If you're comparing it to some of the imdb top 100 movies though, it would clearly get a lower score.

I totally get what Cas is saying above - a score is a subjective rating for each person, so doesn't mean much to anyone else at the end of the day. That's why a fair amount of video game websites these days have shifted to not giving a numerical score at all.

Clearly Tom is a jerk for giving it a 5 though.

rustyk21

I totally get what Cas is saying above - a score is a subjective rating for each person, so doesn't mean much to anyone else at the end of the day. That's why a fair amount of video game websites these days have shifted to not giving a numerical score at all.

Clearly Tom is a jerk for giving it a 5 though.

That's exactly the thing. The score of out of ten isn't a unit of measure (ironically), it's more of a 'feelometer'.

For example, I would rarely ever if ever give a film a 10/10. My boring academic brain would say that's perfection and there is no such thing. In fact, I normally ignore any review that gives something the maximum score.

When I first watched Blade Runner (original), I thought it was an 8, but now I think it's a 9 or maybe more.
I'd give this film a 7, easily, maybe a 7.5 or 8, whatever that's supposed to mean. But does that mean that Blade Runner is a film that is 10% or 20% better than this, depending on when I watched it or when I scored it? Of course not, because films are also an artform and they are designed to provoke thought and emotion, well some are.. or used to be! haha.

Point is basically wot he said, the score is on a scale of:

0 (it will actually make your eyes bleed and you will die) up to 10 (If you don't experience this you will regret it for the rest of your life and everyone will hate you).

The inbetweens are up to each of us to define.

psikey

Distinguished Member

I always watch stuff if "critics" rate low to middling.

Me and wife just watched it I nice little TV film. Enjoyed and 6.5 for us.

Flynch191

I know what you’re trying to say.. and it’s not a bad film... but I can’t give it a 8/10...
I can’t say to a friend... dude/dudet you gotta watch this film. It’s a 8/10 .. you’d love it....

Like above.. a 10/10.. that’s almost impossible.... atm I can’t think of a 10/10 because id have to go away and watch a lot of films all over again... maybe some 9’s out there...

I’ve just been asked what I’m doing on my phone.. I explained briefly and my son (16) pipes up saying ‘really... it’s a 5-6/10 Max’

He has seen a lot of films.. younger and older for his age but not as much as me and always his scoring sounds pretty good.... always before I score it.

I like to discuss a film it’s finished.. even Donnie Darko.. and that was hard work. it’s good to hear how the kids enjoyed the film (maybe) and the message behind it. The other day we watched momento.. great film.. so what’s the score for that... 6..7..8...9 How does that compare to this...

Latest Monkey vs lizard film.. great fun but not a great film.... imo

I don’t always agree with ppl’s reviews etc.. maybe I’m tired.. or had a drink before hand etc.. maybe a monster stomper on a 120” with atmos feels better than a great acting/story on a 55-60” tv... who knows but you need to compare to other films and Mark accordingly.. remember though even a fun film can be 5/10...

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I don’t always agree with ppl’s reviews etc.. maybe I’m tired.. or had a drink before hand etc.. maybe a monster stomper on a 120” with atmos feels better than a great acting/story on a 55-60” tv... who knows but you need to compare to other films and Mark accordingly.. remember though even a fun film can be 5/10...
Most reviews say Thunderforce is unwatchable. So if we compare this to Thunderforce which got a 4, this is only slightly better? Different reviewer, different scale. So what are we comparing? A 6 would have made more sense.

Maybe numerical scores are too variable because it is personal. What about if the ratings were something like "OK, Good and Great"? Calling this an ok film would have got a lot less push back. Then again Scrooge McDavies might have rated this as "unwatchable" :D

Last edited:

rfield

Maybe numerical scores are too variable because it is personal. What about if the ratings were something like "OK, Good and Great"? Calling this an ok film would have got a lot less push back. Then again Scrooge McDavies might have rated this as "unwatchable" ;)
Just my thoughts - AVF movie reviews already use 'unmissable', 'highly recommended' and 'recommended' tags (maybe there's more?) - so perhaps scores out of 10 could be reserved solely for audio/video/etc quality. That said, there was a lot of initial kickback on gaming websites that dropped numerical scoring so perhaps AVF has decided it's less painful to keep things as they are.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021