1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lousy region 2 packaging

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me or is everybody else sick of the second rate packaging of UK region 2 discs.

Checkout the nice double amray case that the US copy of "Abyss" ships in. Then the cheapo cardboard nonsense we got lumbered with in good old blighty.

Same goes for UK versions of "Terminator", "ID4" and especially "Omen" Trilogy. I don't want some cheap cardboard affair that folds out into a crucifix. I mean if you want to be obtuse it should be an inverted crucifix anyway.

Listen up UK distibutors, DVD not only require top notch transfers, extras and menus but also packaging.

Who's with me?

2. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the carboard boxes and disagree with the protection thing. the new line type boxes actually keep the surface of the disc away from the plastic by a few mm. The disc also comes away far more easily, leading to less struggles and tugs. Hasn't the struggle to get discs out of their casing been seen as a possible cause for disc rot? ie they bend and get distorted?

I think, pooch, you should be more careful on the way home from the shops ;)

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dirk,

As much as I agree with you, (for the most part), companies simply don't want to know! They'd rather save money, than do things properly. This is why so many R2 users iport R1 and R4 DVD's!

With regards to the "crucifix" box for the Omen Trilogy, I think that actually looks okay, as Fox did the same for the Season 1 DVD release of the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" TV series. However, I would prefer box sets to be given proper Amaray DVD packaging, simply because it looks nicer and gives more protection to the discs.

Having said all this, even R1 discs do get cardboard boxes, as both the "Nightmare On Elm Street" Boxed Set (9 discs!) and "Decalogue" (Krzysztof Kieslowski's reworking of The Ten Commandments) both demonstrate.

The reason I hate cardboard, is because it simply offers no protection to tehe DVD, and is too easily scuffed and scratched even before you get the disc home from the shop.

Pooch

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Karla,

Thanks for the advice. I'll bear it in mind, next time I drag that copy of the 2001 Box Set along the cobbled pavements, in town! ;)

With regards to best Amaray packaging, there is a slightly newer breed/edition of the standard Amaray box that seems to be making an appearance on R2 DVD's at least. I have noticed it is generally used by "Kult TV's" releases, e.g. Lexx, Farscape, et al.

The disc is held by a central 3-part push-button thing, rather than the normal two-part push-button thing. When you release the disc you'll see that it sits on a small hub, and is completely free of any contact with the packaging. Definitely a better design.

Anyone else seen this design?

Pooch

5. lalorm

lalorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Dirk. I hate the cardboard DVD cases. Also the thin clear plastic cases as found on R2 Flatliners. Isn't it about time that the industry standardize on just ONE case. The smaller version on the Video cassette box is the best...i.e. the hard black plastic case is the best at the moment. It was done with Video's, CD's even Records and Laserdiscs!!! So why not DVD's.

Cheers

6. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't see why DVDs should be in different packaging to CDs. It would make sense from a space-saving POV.
    DVD packaging seems to waste a lot of space.
    The main reason I never really built up a collection of films on VHS was the 'where to put them' factor.
    Seems like a wasted opportunity to really condense the space needed for any given film collection IMHO
    :confused: :D

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too see no resone for the over sized cd cases. i would have thought it would have been much better to have them in a cd type case .
    i would love to just be able to stick everything on the same sized shelf :(

8. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh! I remember the days when DVD did come in CD boxes. However, they looked really cheap and nasty and didn't last long. Marketing is the reason why we have the cases we do. Every company wants its product to stand out on the shelf. Personally, I love those new cardboard ones for stuff like the untouchables and Event horizon.

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I don't mind any cases really, the funky cardboard jobs like R1 Se7en or Fight Club, or the R2 BFI release of Salo make a nice change to see on the shelf. I'm in 2 minds about Anchor bay's tin packaging, but I think they're stopping, or at least altering, those anyway due to the number of complaints they got.
    The only problem I've got is with the cardboard cases when they get both security stripped and shrinkwrapped - the security strip always manages to take the surface off the cardboard cover no matter how gentle you are with it. It drives me mad, I've got no end of old Godzilla movies with the banner "35th Anniversary edition" or whatever looking like it's had a fight with an emery board.
    Other than that, I'm not really bothered about the package (except maybe those nasty white amarays that some distributors use) as long as the sleeve looks good. But if you buy R2 then that won't look good either very often

[ 26-06-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

I was surprised to read in J.J.Rambo's post that "Anchor bay's tin packaging... they're stopping, or at least altering, those anyway due to the number of complaints they got."

Personally, I think they made the films desirable, and really collectible! I can understand that for space reasons, that some people may not like them, but seeing as they are "Limited Editions", in the truest sense of the word, I think they are worth sticking with.

Pooch

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Poochie,

I'm not quite sure how far Anchor Bay are taking their changes to the limited tins. A lot of complaints were the double-edged sword of "too big for my shelf and I don't like the CD jewel case" that seem to have shaken AB up. I know the packages will be changing, but it may be just to incorporate an amaray case instead of the CD jewel box. Personally, I liked the tins but the jewel cases were a bit on the flimsy side, they didn't seem quite as sturdy as "proper" CD cases you get music CDs in, although it may have been my imagination (probably). Changes are afoot though but hopefully it'll just be that they start using amarays in the tins rather than scrapping the whole idea. I've got loads of shelf space anyway so the size of the tins never bothered me and I'd rather be sitting smuggly with a limited edition than a basic release any day, that's what this "collecting" game's all about.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    John J,

Thanks for clearing that matter up. I agree with you about the housing of Anchor Bay DVD's in CD-cases. Amaray cases would look and be much nicer.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

Pooch

13. lalorm

lalorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a DVD package is a Limited edition, and in some cases individually numbered like on the Star Trek 5 and 6 R2 DVD cases, then wouldn't it make sence to have these collectable items housed in a package that can stand the test of time. My Copy of Star Trek 6 on DVD is already starting to split at the edges and I've only used the DVD once since I got it and I'm careful with all packaging. If I had the choice, I'd rather get the Black plastic box version like on the R1 release, especialy as the extras on the DVD are non existant!!! Slaping a DVD into a cardboard box, putting a bit of silver paper around it and giving it a number hardly makes it a limited edition in my books.