lounge update...

liamt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

i had a thread here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...y/1578211-new-house-new-diy-cinema-space.html

but due to lack of funds etc all my plans for a massive lounge extending into garage has had to be put on hold (until i manage to rustle up about £12k!).

in the mean time i will be modifying & decorating our existing lounge, so ive started a new thread and will close the old one (it started getting confusing)

here are the new plans:

sketchupHD_7.jpg

sketchupHD_8.jpg

we have bought the 2 new black leather recliner couches. will arrive next friday!

we have bought the doors (oak) and oak skirting and oak architraves for fitting next tuesday/wednesday. also the timber laminate floor will be going down then. we went for laminate as it was much cheaper than oak and much more hard wearing. we went for a very high quality one and the boards we have through do look like wood, even from 30cm away, so we are very impressed!

last weekend we built and erected the 5m wall of shelving. which had to be modified last minute as i forgot to make space for the wife's books! (damn! :))

purchased 3 x (2440 x 1220 x 18mm sheets of MDF) and had B&Q cut them to size. all i had to do was screw together and get on the walls. which was easier said than done due to them being quite awkward to move around. but for under £50 i think its pretty decent! :) also wired 5m of LED colour changing lights from the side lights.

this weekend im channelling cables into walls and running network to the office at the back as it gets terrible wifi due to double walls. also building the false wall/tv unit which should be fun. the cutting plan took a while! i have to move some power sockets which could be a pain in the bum though...

then painting and ready for floor and doors etc to be fitted. it SHOULD all be done by next friday!!! (hopefully)

still undecided on the sub placement. the couches are a little different to those in the drawings as we had a budget issue and couldnt justify £2.5k on 2 couches. managed to get 2 for £600 in a special sale locally!!! bargain!?!?! they are recliners too!

paint will be wickes purple (cant remember name) but after 7 testers we arent happy with the lighter wall colour so more pots needed!!!!

the TV unit section will be purple too! its just white to help me see everything!!!!

Last edited:
ok. here is the eagle eye of some of the ground floor

sketchupHD_9.jpg

still seeing if i can be bothered to run a hdmi to the office as would be cool to see whats going on in there (especially good for when my son gets on there!)

£40 doesnt seem too bad to me.

i also have a long hdmi cable i might use to wire up behind the shelving just in case we ever get a projector.

any ideas on sub placement??

just bought a 15m hdmi cable as found a better route :) also got a 20m optical as my 10m one was a bit of a stretch to the conservatory. also bought a belkin surge protector and power filter to clean the power... :)

all getting exciting now after messing with the kitchen for the last few weeks! finally MY room will look nice! :D

ok, ive had a play and the sub will fit in the alcove with a 684. since its front firing (whatever you call it) i think it should be ok. i will put bungs in the 684s rear bass ports to help control the bass.

beckford said:
Wow, think we're doing something similar.I've got a pair of 684's paring them with a htm62.

Freaky :) great minds eh :) we've been hard at it for the last few days (oooerrr missus). Pics to follow. Just got to lay cable. Paint etc now. The units were a pig to build as the room isn't square.

Blue led up lights look cool. Feels like a club :)

Attachments

• image-3009296721.jpg
    image-3009296721.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,334
  • image-775825700.jpg
    image-775825700.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,297
  • image-3357270304.jpg
    image-3357270304.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,272
  • image-1417739835.jpg
    image-1417739835.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,244
  • image-3966450603.jpg
    image-3966450603.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • image-649380867.jpg
    image-649380867.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,256
  • image-3355768406.jpg
    image-3355768406.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,243
  • image-1719085163.jpg
    image-1719085163.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,232
More pics.

Floor going in today. :) and doors not long after!!

Attachments

• image-960677069.jpg
    image-960677069.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 988
  • image-1691387240.jpg
    image-1691387240.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 905
  • image-2517684612.jpg
    image-2517684612.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 986
bah. iphone takes crap photos.

i will take some more with better camera soon.

floor going in today then oak skirting, architraves and doors! new sofas arrive on friday.

had some fun with cables. the 15m hdmi i ordered had sparklies over the screen so i couldnt use it and it was too late to order another one. then i remembered that i had a drum of cat5e in the garage so i ran some of that into the office (2 lengths) and another 2 lengths to the rear of the shelving. unfortunately i put up the shelving before i remembered about the cabling and it cant be removed easily. so i had to drill 2 holes in the wall to the garage (300mm thick!!!) to seed the cables through and back out at the top

that speaker cable wasnt quite long enough so im going to have to join some (grrr). still. its only for the surround back rear and i think im going to go with front height/width (i have positioned them high and wide so i will have to see which i prefer with the pro logic IIz) the onkyo does allow me to wire up surround rears, front width and front height and switch between them, which means i can see which sounds the best (i guess music will be better with wide and movies with the rear??). i will add a single rear surround for the time being as i have a spare mordaunt short centre speaker.

very busy 4 day weekend. 7am - 8pm 3 nights then 7am to 11pm last night to get it finished. im glad to get back to work to relax now!!! :)

i ran out of time to cut out the sections for the AV kit. to be honest i quite like the fact that its all hidden now.

i might look into IR receivers. recommendations?

also i might need some ethernet to hdmi baluns. recommendations?

Floor almost finished!!

Attachments

• image-2192166103.jpg
    image-2192166103.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 990
Delay on the doors. Should have been here yesterday but now won't be here until Friday. Grrr

Also need to chase out front wide/height speakers as not enough room on floor. Apparently chippie hasn't seen so many cables before :) I think it's around 150m of cable in the lounge. That's just the optical, speaker wire and Ethernet.

Skirting in today. Just needs treating as its really light oak at the moment.

Attachments

• image-2290970319.jpg
    image-2290970319.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 733
good news. doors are supposed to be here this afternoon now and not tomorrow.

i still might need to give the joiner a hand but he shouldnt need to come back on saturday now so i can get doing other things.

im dying to get my dvds up as in the last house we removed 2 of the units to make the lounge look bigger. 2500 dvds in boxes in the garage at the moment! this weekend might be fun after all!!! i still have plenty of snagging to do with chasing in cables and some plaster patch repairing and wiring sockets up etc.

also, im looking at IR senders and receivers for the cupboard now if anyone wants to give me some recommendations.

am i talking to myself in here i ask? :) maybe i need to change my deodorant? :)

New couches arrived and Poppy has found her space :) always my bloody seat! :) .

Doors being delayed as we weren't going to replace all the frames, just the architraves but it t looks crap compared to the oak box we had done on one door. More expense but should look cool!!

DVDs going up. Won't fit them all due to last minute alteration to shelves for wife's books. Grr. Will need overflow in office! Least I have tonnes of mdf left!!

Attachments

• image-1804181752.jpg
    image-1804181752.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,304
  • image-4162186431.jpg
    image-4162186431.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • image-452099851.jpg
    image-452099851.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,170
  • image-3929363196.jpg
    image-3929363196.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,343
Unfortunately the centre speaker stands proud. It will have the psmove camera on it. We can't recess further as old fire is behind it and wanted to keep that wall flat.

Still need to Matt varnish the tv wall. Marks too easily. I did the shelves today. Need to roller first though.

All feels well cosy. I still need to wire up the AV yet. Should be fun :) I have wired up several possibilities so will have a good play :)

Unfortunately the centre speaker stands proud. It will have the psmove camera on it. We can't recess further as old fire is behind it and wanted to keep that wall flat.

Still need to Matt varnish the tv wall. Marks too easily. I did the shelves today. Need to roller first though.

All feels well cosy. I still need to wire up the AV yet. Should be fun :) I have wired up several possibilities so will have a good play :)

I'd put a little shelf under the front of the Centre so it doesn't look like it's falling out of the wall, other than that it's a very smart and neat setup.

Roland

cheers beckford. yeah, its a beast. its also high as my old cantilever stand wasnt tall enough to fit the speaker in so i had to butcher it to get it to fit.

new couches are awesome. you can recline almost flat! :) almost there now. need my surround stands and the doors fitting and we are done. oh, and a new light.

Disappointingly I can only get about half my DVDs up. The more crappy ones will have to go I the office.

Attachments

• image-1225427780.jpg
    image-1225427780.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • image-2614234996.jpg
    image-2614234996.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • image-1029558690.jpg
    image-1029558690.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,063
  • image-405030320.jpg
    image-405030320.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 985
also, ik need more ventilation. the ps3 fan goes mental with the doors closed. the tivo and onkyo get a bit warm but seem ok.

damn this iphone takes poor piccies. i will take some better ones this week when the stands arrive.

Hi liamt,

Your setup looks great! :)

The 684s are good floorstanders. - Where is your equipment placed i.e. AV Receiver, Bluray etc as I couldn't see it in the pics?

Will you be wall mounting the 685s or placing them on stands? :)

i have ordered some of these:

customdesign.co.uk

http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/product_thumb.php?img=images/tn_FS 104 SIG_315.jpg&w=250&h=423

all my AV kit in in the cupboards to the sides of the TV. even though they are big and spacious i think i need more ventilation as the ps3 fan goes mental after 20mins with the door shut! :(

also ordering some IR kit today. we were going to go with a glass/open door for the AV kit but i like it being hidden away and looking clean.

i will take more pics at weekend (with my decent camera) after doors are fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVDs going up. Won't fit them all due to last minute alteration to shelves for wife's books. Grr. Will need overflow in office! Least I have tonnes of mdf left!!

Buy her a kindle - job done!;) Looks great btw!

MonkeyBoy74 said:
Buy her a kindle - job done!;) Looks great btw!

She likes to see books much like I like to see movies :) I always look at people's DVDs when I go to other people's houses. I guess kinda like bearing your sole. :)

Btw thanks. I can't wait to see after when doors go in. Acoustics actually good. Bass behaving :)

New stands look good and ir kit works well.

Colour me happy :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom