Lounge set up, looking for upgrade suggestions

craigae

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of our current lounge set up, as it has been for a couple of years now (although I've had the speakers 10 years now!) I've got the upgrade itch, but I think I'm in the category of everything being 'good enough' that any upgrades will be quite costly, or require other bits to be upgraded as well. Ideally though, I'd like to improve av quality but also minimise the impact of the equipment on the room where possible.

The stand is the Allcam FS205. It's getting on my nerves a bit lately, as I'd like something more minimal and more enclosed. Something with remote friendly glass. However, with a big-ish center speaker and the size of the TV ped stand, I think choice is limited. I'd love something like this, but it wouldn't work: STUK 4001 BL 1

The amp is a Sony STR-DA2400ES, purchased on a whim because Richer Sounds had them in stock and fairly cheap when they were first released. I had another Sony before this, so I'm happy with the sound.

The TV is a Panasonic TH50PZ80B. I'm still happy with the picture, although it doesn't seem as good as it did. I'd be interested in a 3D TV, but also in something a bit slimmer. I almost bought a LG LX9900 last week due to the Sky money off deal, but decided against it because of lag worries (gaming) and banding issues. But the thin bezel and set depth are pretty stunning...

The speakers consist of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 fronts, 8 center, SW250 sub and DFS bipole rears. This set up is 10 years old, which I've had since new. Perhaps I'm just too accustomed to the sound, but to me they sound so warm, room filling, and of course tonally matched. They perform well for both movies and music, which is important. In an effort to downsize while maintain quality, I've recently auditioned some KEF 3005SE and the new KEF T series. I realised there would be some compromises due to the speaker size, but they put me off 'style' speakers. I think I need to audition something like the B&W CM7/8/9s.

The PC is an upgraded Sony XL-201, bought because we already had the XL-100 and was happy with it, and I found a great discontinued sale price. I love the case and the perfect dimensions, but unfortunately it has very recently died. I'm planning on trying to retrofit a whole new PC in the case whilst maintaining the slot loading drive, SD cards, IR blaster etc. Will probably create a thread in the HTPC forum for that.

There is also a Jap PS3, Xbox 250gb slim and a Wii. Sky HD upgraded to 2tb. Hidden behind the telly is a Sonos ZP90, the Kinect sensor, some red LED lighting and an 8 port gigabit switch.

Cheers if you bothered to read this far and have any suggestions :)

Attachments

• DSC03174 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC03174 (1024x768).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,120
Boom, that's stunning. And almost exactly what I'm aiming at too.

Need a telly that big.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom