Lounge Audio set up advice

phantome46

Novice Member
Good evening. I am a real novice with the home audio setup and would really appreciate the help and advice to try and get my system as good as i can get with the level of kit I have invested in to date.

My living room is 7 meters in length and 5.5 meters width.

I currently have the following kit

Pioneer VSK-930K AV receiver - with which i would like to have the dolby atmos set up but I am confused as to how to connect to the amp either in 7.2 or 5.2.2 modes as per the manual.

Front Left and right - Cambridge Audio SX80
Centre - Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20
Rear Left and Right - I currently have Cambridge Audio C155 ceiling speakers
Surround Left and Right - Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20
Front and Rear Cambridge Audio Minx x300 subwoofers (to each side of the room - one closer to front and one to the back)

I had then considered having at the front facing the ceiling
Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20 behind each SX80 - pointing to the ceiling

So here is where I am totally out of my depth with questions

- Do the ceiling speakers that i have placed in the ceiling (1.3m from the back wall in the room - above the sofa facing the TV) serve as the rear speakers or are they better served as Top middle speakers and then I have a pair of Minx 20's as the rears?

- Should both subs be at the front of the set up pointing into the room?

I have attached the instructions manual link to my receiver if this helps - but i'd like advice before I cable the room and get the locations of the speakers wrong.
Pioneer user manual—Side 20

side 20 shows the different room setups and I am looking at option A or B

I would really value the input and advice please

Damp Squid

It’s a 7 channel receiver, so if you want to utilise the ceiling speakers you will have to go 5.2.2. (2 subs and 2 overhead).

Set the ceiling speakers as top middles if this is an option, otherwise top fronts.

The subs will probably be best one front and one rear, diametrically opposite but a bit of experimentation will be required to get the best sound.

Last edited:

gibbsy

I would not put Minx as upfiring speakers, simply not powerful or good enough in that position. Fixed to the ceiling in the correct position which is roughly above where your knees would be seated at the MLP then they would be fine. Have any ceiling speaker inline with the front left and right. A diagram of your room with the TV and seating would be helpful.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Good evening. I am a real novice with the home audio setup and would really appreciate the help and advice to try and get my system as good as i can get with the level of kit I have invested in to date.

My living room is 7 meters in length and 5.5 meters width.

I currently have the following kit

Pioneer VSK-930K AV receiver - with which i would like to have the dolby atmos set up but I am confused as to how to connect to the amp either in 7.2 or 5.2.2 modes as per the manual.

Front Left and right - Cambridge Audio SX80
Centre - Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20
Rear Left and Right - I currently have Cambridge Audio C155 ceiling speakers
Surround Left and Right - Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20
Front and Rear Cambridge Audio Minx x300 subwoofers (to each side of the room - one closer to front and one to the back)

I had then considered having at the front facing the ceiling
Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20 behind each SX80 - pointing to the ceiling

So here is where I am totally out of my depth with questions

- Do the ceiling speakers that i have placed in the ceiling (1.3m from the back wall in the room - above the sofa facing the TV) serve as the rear speakers or are they better served as Top middle speakers and then I have a pair of Minx 20's as the rears?

- Should both subs be at the front of the set up pointing into the room?

I have attached the instructions manual link to my receiver if this helps - but i'd like advice before I cable the room and get the locations of the speakers wrong.
Pioneer user manual—Side 20

side 20 shows the different room setups and I am looking at option A or B

I would really value the input and advice please
Where do you sit exactly? Probably middle width wise and what is the distance from your front wall to main seat? Take tape measure to show the exact spot where your head is (from front wall and from side wall to closer the listener if the position isn´t at middle width wise). This is for the subwoofer placement, i can have a look with program which should give you good idea where to place them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom