Louishm's Re-Build

louishm

Novice Member
Due to me doing things on the cheap and cutting corners my HC has finally had to be ripped out. The problem is that little thing called damp. Although my cellar was not originally damp (no water) it didn't have any air circulation (my fault) :lesson:. So condensation has formed which in turn has caused damp patches on the external walls.
The solution: Rip it all out and start again

Below is a few pics of how the HC used to look

Attachments

MarkP80

The solution: Rip it all out and start again
- that's a hard one to swallow.
Looking on the bright side, it allows you to change any bits you didn't like.
And gives you an excuse to upgrade!

Keep us posted on the pogress!
MarkP

rupees_al

Novice Member
at least you had a genuine reason to change and update and didn't have to spend months convincing SWMBO...

half the battle is already won and i'm sure that after looking on here there is stuff that you can incorperate that wasn't there before and you now like the look of...

best of luck keep pics coming...

louishm

Novice Member
-
And gives you an excuse to upgrade!

MarkP

Gives me the excuse to finish it properly this time, well thats her statement. But yes i will me making some changes/upgrades like a new set of Mordaunt Speakers or Kefs, haven't really decided yet, A new amp with hdmi inputs and some other bits here and there.

The builders did turn up today but didn't get chance to start on the cellar, I am having a full attic conversion too so they wanted to get my Velux's in while the weather was nice..

Also on the to-do list is re-do my living room, My floating wall will be ripped out and will be moving to the chimney breast wall, Again i will keep you updated with pics.

Attachments

louishm

Novice Member
Any excuse

I `think I`ll do mine again then damp or no damp :D :devil:

seriously like those seats though, look really comfy

looking forward to the photo`s but can you put them on photobucket first so they`re nice and big

cheers and good luck

Al :thumbsup:

Dont think yours will need doing quite just yet Alan, Unfortunately when the damp set in i had no where to store the seats so they had to go :(. Always say i am going to host the pics but just never get round to it, but will do for future posts.

louishm

Novice Member
slightly off topic from the HC, my attic conversion is underway now, Velux's went in yesterday and the rip out started today. The ceilings were lowered in my house by the previous owners so this is less messy when they rip out and gives me about an extra 2 foot headroom.
We will be creating 2 extra rooms uphere.

albriscoe

Distinguished Member
i had no where to store the seats so they had to go QUOTE]

you could have stored them here mate :devil:

and them photo`s are much better, remind me of a loft conversion we did about 25 years ago :eek:

I worked down the pit 17 years and still never got as black as when we did the loft :D

are you removing the perlion that goes across the velux and how will you be support the it as you cut across it, I remember doing ours again but can`t remeber how we supported it

Anyway keep us udated with it all especially the basement

Al :smashin:

louishm

Novice Member
yeah i know what you mean about the dirt, The builders doing the conversion are dirty head to toe every night.

Yes the perlins are been removed and a 5.5m length of steel is going in at the ridge of the roof.

The cellar has come to a bit of a halt now as they want to concentrate on getting all the muck from the attic, Cant wait till its all done should be about 6 weeks to complete everything. Decided to make my smaller cellar room into an office, was originally planned as a storage room but we will create some storage in the attic now.

Max Payne

Novice Member
Must be tough to go and pull it all out and start again, but as others have said, this is your 2nd chance to get it the way you want it.....and that can only be good.

Well done and will be looking on...

Thanks for sharing

louishm

Novice Member
still slightly off topic from the hc i purchased these on sunday for the kids rooms (attic).

Will be wall mounting them and mounting a floating shelf underneath for there consoles.
bought the sets from my local Richer Sounds, and of course i had to have a look at the speakers/amps etc while i was there, I ended up getting a 7.1 set of Gale Speakers they did have some Kefs on offer but was only a 5.1 and i wanted to upgrade to a 7.1. I am in the process of trying to explain to the other half how important it is to upgrade my PJ and Amp (they just don't understand) :smashin:

Attachments

Last edited:

louishm

Novice Member
plasterers are booked in for tuesday now. I better pull my finger out and get my wiring done.

I managed to twist her arm and have just ordered my ONKYO TXSR506 Amp and a OPTOMA HD720X i hope its going to be a big difference from my Epson tw20. Anyone got any first hand reviews of this PJ

louishm

Novice Member
should of read up on the Onkyo first, only noticed the 506 doesn't have hdmi audio :eek:.

A quick trip to Richer Sounds and changed for the 606 and after a bit of bartering only ended up paying an extra £50. :thumbsup:

louishm

Novice Member
Plasterers have finished in the cellar now so i couldn't wait to connect the pj and have a little test run.

I was quite impressed with the image considering the screen is just a piece of 8x4 plasterboard

need to let all the plaster dry out now then we can decorate and carpet etc..

Does anyone know of the best paint to use for a home made screen?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett