Loud static sound then game/pc crash.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by BYF, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    When playing some games for a good length of time of around 45mins, I start to hear a static sound come through the speakers that gets louder and louder, so I loud I have to turn the speakers off. If I don't quit the game quickly at that point the game and PC will crash and even reset.

I've been monitoring my CPU temps and noticed this occurs when my CPU hits 65c with core temp but when stress testing with linpack it can go as high as 70c and not crash the system, with games its more sensitive.

I've noticed over the years the CPU temps have got higher, I used to run the CPU at 3.5ghz with slightly increased vcore and had no problems then lowered to 3ghz and stock voltage when it would run too hot, now I'm at stock 2.5ghz and I'm having problems.

It seems to be the latest more demanding games make it happen much faster as the CPU gets hotter faster, with older games the CPU would never reach 60c, even Crysis it wouldn't go as high as 65c and never crash.

Not sure what else I can do? even with the CPU fan on max it still will hit
    65c, maybe overclocking has taken its toll. All fans are working and there's no excessive dust build up.

The other possibility is the GFX card but its never been clocked and doesn't get that hot. Can anyone recommend a free GPU temp monitoring program that I can have running games? Just to rule it out.

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Byf - your raising CPU temps could be down to two things. Dust build up in your cooler or your thermal paste has dried out. Both are an easy fix.

3. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Dust isn't too bad on the cooler, I'll get some thermal paste in clean off the old and reapply, now that you mention it I think the cooler had its own thermal pad and I didn't apply paste but it was some years ago and I can't remember.

4. Lalonde

Lalonde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Are you getting sound through your Graphics Card, Motherboard or Audio card?

Plugged into the front ports or the back of your PC?

5. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Just as a precaution, I'd open the case up and clean her out. Your temps seem fine, although, if you haven't done so in a while, I'd apply some thermal paste to your CPU and GPU [Be warned, this may void your warranty of your GPU!].

Obviously, clean the old paste off using a solution of your choice (isopropyl alcohol preferably; I've even used vodka and a cotton-bud before). I use Arctic Cooling MX4 as my TIM.. Arctic Silver 5 seems a bit past it these days.

Lastly, I'd check your soundcard, and reseat it if possible. If you're using onboard audio, then that could be an entirely different mobo problem - Possibly the motherboard sound-chip is overheating, or has an electrical fault?

It could even mean your mobo is close to death! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The sound is onboard audio plugged into the back of the PC directly into motherboard.

I don't really want to touch the GPU, its not that easy to take apart, I will take the CPU cooler off and reapply some paste and blast out the dust with some air.

I'm hoping to build a new PC soon, but want to keep gaming on this for another few months at least.

7. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Just to update I think the problem is the GPU getting too hot, I ran MSI afterburner to get on screen temps and it's going over 90c!

The reason for this I think is 120hz mode games and high frame rates as they probably work the GPU harder. I was just playing Assetto Corsa and was getting on avg 85fps and within a minute or so it's at 90c and likely goes higher after prolonged play.

When I play games at 60hz and at lower frame rates it doesn't get so hot, only trouble is when I want to play at 1080p some games default to 120hz mode.

8. Four quid mate

Four quid mate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Whilst most people would be uncomfortable to see their GPU go up to 90c it's not a dangerous temperature and is fairly normal. Most GPU's can run close to 100c before you should start really worrying, maybe it's clogged full of dust, try giving it a clean.

9. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Re-apply TIM on the GPU if it is an old card and take an air duster to it too.