Quantcast

Loud Hisssss From Sony Now No Picture

ismael-1986

Novice Member
A FRIEND OF MINE WAS FIXING A TELE INSIDE AND AS HE GOT UP HE KNOCKED A CUP OFF THE SHELF AND IT HIT THE NECK AND THEN THERE WAS A LOUD HISS :oops: , NOW WHEN U TURN ON THE TV THERE IS SOUND BUT THE PICTURE WELL IF I CAN CALL IT THAT LOL THERES NOTHING THERE AT ALL :nono: PLESAE HELP THANKS, ALSO THE REASON WHY WE OPEND IT WAS COS THE DAMN PICTURE WENT A LIL TO RED ALTHOU OTHER COLOURS WEAR VISIBLE AND RETRACE LINES ON SCREEN THANKS

:)

GaryB

Distinguished Member
He's killed it I'm afraid. The tube has be a total vacuum inside to work. If he's necked it (as it's known in the trade), then there is no way it will work - the noise you heard was the air rushing in through a crack or hole. The only option is a new tube, if the set is worth it.

You could always try a claim on your insurance but I'm not sure they would cover this sort of damage.

ijd

Novice Member
what were you actually planning to do, to resolve the initial problem.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
ijd's got a point there. If your friend knew enough about TVs to attempt to fix your problem, then he should have known what that noise meant. Most TV engineers have necked a tube at some time, either accidentally or deliberately to make it safe before disposal. I've probably done 20 or 30 in my time - only one of those was accidental.

ismael-1986

Novice Member
Yeah he knows a lil about tele's but soon as he 'necked it' he went out to go speak to someone so im just posting this msg, also the problem was like i sed to much red tint and retrace lines if u call it that

The Machman

Standard Member
I had a similar incident with a new sony I bought back in 1992 . I had a plant on top of my TV and each time I watered the bloody thing I didn't realise that I was watering the TV as well as the saucer was overflowing.
The TV used to unsuprisingly hiss and sizzle and the picture went very funny colours if remember rightly.
I was lucky in that when the service engineer opened up he found that water had fouled some of the circuit boards and had shorted some of the circuits, The noise I was hearing was the water sizzling. The boards had gone green with water marks but with brush to remove the corrosion it survived. In fact I am watching it as we speak whilst the front room is being decorated. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom