Loud high pitched noise / hum in standby

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by iandrews, Dec 10, 2003.

1. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Hi, I got Sky + installed yesterday, installation went ok, and so far everything seems ok....apart from one thing..... If I'm watching Sky+ and then turn the box to standby while the TV is still on the sky input I get what can only be described as a kind of loud high pitched noise / hum coming from the TV speakers (very interating).

I did some testing, and think it has something to do with the way my equipment is set up, though I would have thought others have theirs set up in the same way, and was just wondering if any one else had experienced the same problem.

I have a 30" Sharp LCD TV, the media box has 3 scart inputs, input 3 has the DVD connected. The Sky+ box and Video are connected in the following way. All the scart leads are fully wired Thor.

a) Sky+ TV scart - Sharp AV1 scart
    b) Sky+ VCR scart - VCR AV2 scart
    c) VCR AV1 scart - Sharp AV2 scart

The set-up above is the same as when I just had a Sky box, and had no problems.

The sound goes away if I disconnect b) or c) above. However I need b) so that I can still record off Sky+ onto the VCR, and I would prefer to keep c) so that I can watch/program the VCR while the Sky+ box is on (for example pause live TV to program the VCR), as well as being able to watch Sky and the VCR at the same time using the dual picture mode that the Sharp TV has. I tried swapping the connections on the VCR the other way round so that Sky+ went into VCR AV1 and the VCR feed went to the TV via VCR AV2 but the noise was still there, just in a different pitch!!!!

Two was to avoid the problem are to either keep the Sky+ box on all the time, or to switch TV input before putting the Sky+ box into standby, I am just a little concerned though that something isn't quite right, of I am causing some kind of loop/feedback that may damage my equipment.

Anyone else experience anything similar or have any ideas?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm sure someone else has experienced this somewhere. Try using the phrase 'loop/feedback' in a search and hopefully you will get a result. :confused:

4. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK old thread I know, but I had Sky+ installed yesterday and I'm having a similar problem with high pitched noise all the time the machine is switched on, i.e. in standby and while I'm watching. The noise only goes away when I turn off the box at the mains.

My setup is as simple as it gets. From Sky+ box to TV (old Matsui 28") via scart. No dvd player. Nothing else.

Any help/opinions?

5. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed this morning, when I turn the thing off in standby... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
    Don't think it's coming from the TV.:rolleyes:

6. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, weird, it's through the TV (sharp Aquos 37 inch)....but after disconnecting the VCR which I wanted in the other multiroom now it went away.
    Some kind of feedback issue that wasn't present in the old Pace box.

very odd.

7. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Think I got rid of the noise (eventually) when I introduced a DVD recorder between the VCR and the TV. I have the Aquos 30 inch, I think it was some kind of feedback issue caused by the circular arrangement of scart leads and now that the DVD is in place it is stopping whatever it was from getting through.

8. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll probably be wanting a DVD recorder in place of the VCR for archival purposes at some stage... so hopefully I wont get the loud beep.
    Bloody odd "feature"... have to wonder why the box would put out any kind of signal through the VCR scart at all when it's on standby.