Loud GPU and MOBO fans on Boot/ Startup with Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO + Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Loud GPU and MOBO fans on Boot/ Startup with Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO + Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​

My build:

Fractal Define R6 Blackout Mid Tower PC Gaming Case with USB-C
Gigabyte AMD Ryzen X570 AORUS PRO AM4 PCIe 4.0 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Gen3 6 Core AM4 CPU/Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler – Black
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GAMING X Turing Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
Corsair 750 Watt RM750x Fully Modular ATX Power Supply/PSU
LG BH16NS55 Bluray Drive crossflashed with faster UHD Friendly Asus BW16D1HT FW
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Does anyone have the same? Very, very annoying and quite worrying actually. Apparently tons of people are plagued with the same. Has anyone with the same issue heard from AMD and or Nvidia about the issue? Or, is it in fact normal?

Please read the below posts which easily describe the issue. But it is basically upon restarting my com, or cold boot, at post the GPU fans then my MOBO chipset fan ramp up like a jet for a few seconds, and then back down again on boot/ before the Windows 10 login screen.

I really hope a BIOS update and or driver update will fix this.. I built my PC especially for quiet (Fractal R6) use in my home cinema and normal living room space.

Note: I updated the MOBO BIOS to the latest which has taken it off, for desktop use at least (was loud and constant and very irritating before). And new BIOS has allowed me to set the chipset fan to Silent mode.

Kind wishes,

fallinlight

@techquest, I hope you are well, copying you in again, I hope you do not mind, kind thanks.

Last edited:

Willapp

Standard Member
To be honest I thought this was a standard behaviour? My custom build intel i7/RTX2070 does the same thing where the CPU and GPU fans blip to 100% on boot. Is it really that much of a problem? Have you read online that it's possible to circumvent this?

I always assumed that when you power on, all fans receive full voltage before the BIOS settings are applied and/or the temperature thresholds are available to throttle the fans against.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Kind thanks for chiming in, @Willapp.

Been reading for 3 days straight.

I always assumed that when you power on, all fans receive full voltage before the BIOS settings are applied and/or the temperature thresholds are available to throttle the fans against.

That is what I read from other forums.

However, from reading and from what @techquest told me, this is a problem only with Ryzen CPUs, since the 1st gen. Absolutely crazy that this issue has not been fixed.

What is your build and do you have the same noise?

I never had this with my first PC I built, albeit around 8 years ago now, but still.

I have an Intel i5 9600K and Asus Z390-E Gaming arriving today as I planned to switch my build just because of these fan noises (chipset fan also 100% on boot/ restart). If I can stop this, YES PLEASE! Happy to keep my current build and save money. Spent more on the new CPU, which I am told is a bit slower than the Ryzen 3600. But from reading the 9600K still has some other pluses over the 3600. That said, for my usage any differences are mute.

I went for the ASus and Intel switch as they both worked perfectly fine for me 8 years ago...

AMD have only told one person to update their GPU drivers. Other than that I have read of nothing where owner's have had a response from them about the fans revving on boot.

What do you think now? Should I stick to my current build? :thumbsdow

Been racking my brain over it all and loosing sleep and time. Researching endlessly and feeling stuck :(.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
To be honest I thought this was a standard behaviour? My custom build intel i7/RTX2070 does the same thing where the CPU and GPU fans blip to 100% on boot. Is it really that much of a problem?

Oh, right?!! So it is NOT just a Ryzen thing?! Sorry, only just read your message again. Occurs with your Intel... oh dear, I fear the same thing with the 9600K and Asus board then... But I have not read of anyone else reporting issues with Intel/ Intel and Asus builds...

What is your MOBO?

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Perhaps it is to do with RTX 2000 cards, too?

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Someone suggested to fill out driver feedback.. leads me to have hope that this could be fixed?

Willapp

Standard Member
Honestly, I'm pretty sure I've had this with every PC I've ever built (going on 20 years now). In fact, I'm so accustomed to the fan noise that often when booting my PC, I simply reach under the desk and poke around for the power button until I hear the fans spinning up which tells me I've got it running!

It's possible that on some modern PCs that this isn't a thing, but yes I've got an Intel build (i7 8700K, MSI Z390 mobo, RTX 2070 GPU) and it definitely does the same thing.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Z390 board, too! Hmm.. I might just cancel opening up the new hardware arriving today and save myself more stress and hassle...

Chap on here I speak with often, @Thatsnotmynaim (works in IT), said his 1060 does not rev on boot. He is using an Intel chip I believe, not sure about MOBO. It must be specific hardware combinations, then?

The whole point of all my PC builds, using a Fractal R6, is to have it quiet at all times... : /

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
@Willapp, wondering, does your board's chipset fan ever rev on boot, too? Mine does, just after the GPU does, then goes back down to idle like the GPU. Initially the chipset fan was on 100% and extremely irritating and quite loud. Lots others complained about this. Fortunately Gigabyte fixed it with a BIOS update at some point, which I installed. But it still goes 100% on boot up. If I could afford the Extreme.. no bloody chipset fan on that.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
"Some GPUs require their fan curves to be moderated by their Windows drivers. In these cases, the fan will run at 100% until Windows boots, and the driver applies the fan curve.

In this situation, there is nothing you can really do".

Perhaps definitely the RTX line in conjunction with certain/ new CPUs.

Willapp

Standard Member
I don't know for sure if the RTX fans are spinning up, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU fan, plus two stock case fans and I'm pretty sure all of them spin up on boot. It's only for like 1-2 seconds though so it's never bothered me at all.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
I don't know for sure if the RTX fans are spinning up, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU fan, plus two stock case fans and I'm pretty sure all of them spin up on boot. It's only for like 1-2 seconds though so it's never bothered me at all.

It is my RTX fans only revving up, for sure. I have had what you have I think with my first PC build, that is absolutely fine. This is a jet engine for 3 - 4 seconds RTX fans only.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Don't think I have a chipset fan either, just the CPU and case fans per my above reply.

Interesting a YouTube video for the board I have arriving today pointed out a chipset fan. So I assumed all Z390 boards would have them.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Think I will continue my new build. As what you describe I think I have had before and is perfectly acceptable to me. I think what I am describing is different.

avidmuffin

Sorry to reply to an old thread.

I've had the issue with my RTX 2070 FE would ramp up to 100% when I press the power button. I found a few old threads on Reddit which suggested resetting the CMOS on the motherboard. I've just tried it, and what dya know, no more 100% fan speed on power on! The issue is caused apparently when going from one board to another, and sometimes changing CPUs on those boards.

Hope this helps!

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Better late than never @avidmuffin! Cheers for chiming in man, I appreciate it. I still often wondered if this issue was ever fixed because it was a major inconvenience and upset, and I preferred the snappier Ryzen performance I had. Ran a tad cooler, too. Makes me worried to try Ryzen again in future if this issue still exists with RTX cards.

few old threads on Reddit which suggested resetting the CMOS on the motherboard. I've just tried it, and what dya know, no more 100% fan speed on power on!

Really happy for you man. I forget if I tried that. When did the threads suggest trying that? If it was at the time of my post above, then I might have seen it and tried it.

The issue is caused apparently when going from one board to another, and sometimes changing CPUs on those boards.

I see. I don't remember changing boards or CPUs.

Hope this helps!

Yes, that was helpful and kind of you.

Take care and speak again hopefully,

:thumbsup:

fallinlight

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Sorry to reply to an old thread.

I've had the issue with my RTX 2070 FE would ramp up to 100% when I press the power button. I found a few old threads on Reddit which suggested resetting the CMOS on the motherboard. I've just tried it, and what dya know, no more 100% fan speed on power on! The issue is caused apparently when going from one board to another, and sometimes changing CPUs on those boards.

Hope this helps!

I must add, even with my current build on the Z390, case fans rev up on boot (forget if my 2080 does too), but it is tolerable and sounds normal.

jimscreechy

Just a quick chime in here.

This is standard behaviour for pretty much every motherboard ever. Even with most motherboards that have a software app that controls fan speed (like Asus AI Suite or FanXpert), this is done by manipulating the CMOS settings and thus fan speed can also be controlled in the bios without the software. On boot fans will always spin up to full even for a second or two till CMOS settings kick in. This isn't just in Domestic PC's either. If you really want to hear mind blowing fan noise at startup You should hear a DELL or HP blade Chassis on power on! They sound like a a jet plane taking off and it is truly a frightening experience when witnessed for the first time.

Anyway, as others have stated, your system is normal.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Just a quick chime in here.

This is standard behaviour for pretty much every motherboard ever. Even with most motherboards that have a software app that controls fan speed (like Asus AI Suite or FanXpert), this is done by manipulating the CMOS settings and thus fan speed can also be controlled in the bios without the software. On boot fans will always spin up to full even for a second or two till CMOS settings kick in. This isn't just in Domestic PC's either. If you really want to hear mind blowing fan noise at startup You should hear a DELL or HP blade Chassis on power on! They sound like a a jet plane taking off and it is truly a frightening experience when witnessed for the first time.

Anyway, as others have stated, your system is normal.

Cheers for that jim,

My current system sounds normal. But my previous did not. I understand what you are saying, but then I find it very odd why so many others were complaining elsewhere online about this issue with the same MOBO and RTX cards, and not one of them thought to change the CMOS settings. Are you positive that in the latter instance all that was/ is needed is a change of the CMOS settings?

jimscreechy

The short answer is yes. I'm sure. And there is actually good reason why this is done. POST or Power On Self Test allows a machine to know if important components (like fans that keep things cool) can and will work properly under full load. There is no better time to do this at start up when everthing is run full blast and the system knows that everything is good. Also most motherboards will have a fan speed fail setting or a fan fail setting and it is easy determine what percentage a fan should operate at if the max speed is know, which is why this is done at startup. This is how software like FanXpert work, they have "Fan Tuning" mode, where they apply maximum voltage or pulse, first then minimum before the fan registers as stopped, they then use this to work out the spin speed or percentage workload. It is impossible to accurately guage how to regulate a fan properly without at least running it at full since knowing the true response curve of the speed vs voltage or pulse applied will only be guess work.

There is actually an ever better reason to do this for Graphics cars, since they can suffer from what is called 'heat soak' more than other aspects of your system. This is were components become infused with heat that they can't get rid of because the system has been powered down. This is why some systems will run fans for some seconds even after power off. Now this is generally a condition that occurs at power off rather than power on, but running fans at boot to ensure the system is cool is always a good idea just in case they're carrying residual heat for some reason.

If a system does NOT run the fans at full speed at power on, my inclination is to conclude this is a fault with the system rather than an indication that everything is fine as that is definitely NOT what you want.

You mention a bios update, well I actually think this update has in fact Corrected an oversight that had been in place with the previous BIOS rather than created an issue.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I agree that it's normal for PC's to spin their fans up to full on startup* although my current system doesn't, it's an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Asus X570 ROG Crosshair Hero VIII, a Zotac GTX 1070 (stock blower) in a Fractal Define R6 case and it's always been quiet at startup through different bios revisions. I was alarmed when I first powered it up since I thought something must be wrong but he system has been running almost a year now without any issues.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky and ITV agree long term deal
  • By Andy Bassett