1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud 'crack' through speakers with dolby digital signal!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dothillbenny, Jan 14, 2005.

1. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There's has been a couple of threads relating to this recently, one from myself, but I'm posting again with a more specific thread title in the hope that someone might know the answer!

Basically I own an AVR100 which works fine apart from the fact that when a dolby digital signal is received you get a sharp loud 'crack' through the speakers. Its that bad that it makes you jump and it can't be good for the speakers. Its definately the Amp as it happens with all 3 of the dolby digital sources. I know I'm not the only one to have experienced this, some AVR200 owners said their amps are affected too.

Just wondered if anyone had managed to remedy this problem. It has been suggested that the latest firmware upgrade (also giving advanced bass management) might help. The guy at Arcam however who had not heard of the problem before could only suggest an expensive repair/replacement of the dobly digital board!

I would be interested in the fiirmware upgrade regardless just for the advanced bass management - anyone know how much this might cost?

cheers
    dothillbenny

2. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this too, mainly when I switch onto some of the Sky movie channels, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. It's very annoying though, I have an AVR300 thats 1 month old

It does normally seem to be when it's a film being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1

Does anyone else get this or do Arcam have any comments to make ?

How do I check what version of firmware I am runnig and what is the latest ?

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    ScubaPro, on the AVR300, press the DVD and SAT buttons on the front and it tells you the info.

4. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LFC

I'm running on software 2.90, does anyone know what the latest release is ?

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think 3.01 is the most recent production release.

6. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you go about getting it upgraded ?

7. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know how to get the software upgraded ?

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check with your dealer or Arcam directly.

The US distributor (Audiophile Systems) also keeps updates on their website, but they currently only have 2.90.

Dean

9. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Dean

10. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    3.0.8 is the latest AVR300 release (according to Arcam yesterday)

I have a new AVR300 (arrived 29th Dec) and, whilst I don't have Sky+, I have not had this problem on any DVD (yet!). I'll check my SW version tonight.

11. blitzschnell

blitzschnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Avr-250 with software 3.00 I get the problem when switching from PCM to dolby digital, it happen when changing channel on my digital tv receiver **very loud craking**.
    There is other situation where I could hear clicking but at a lower level. It is annoying
    for hear and sometimes It leave me worried about how bad it is for the speaker.

I think that Avr-300 and Avr-250 are weaker than competition on the digital side. I tried many brand and model before buying my Avr-250 and I could not recall of one other unit craking and clicking that much.

Do you ever noticed that changing volume while the unit play low frequency signal produce popping sound ? ( this apply to AVR-200, 250 and 300)
    This is due to poor digital processing, this coud be easily corrected by applying that amplitude change at the 0 Volt crossing of the signal, but it is not. Why ? we are not in the cheapo league here with a 2300 $ Cdn for a 250 ...

12. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    So far, the only problem I have noticed with my AVR300 is the "no sound" problem described in another thread. Have not had a single digital POP/crack yet.

Edit: Checked last night - I have SW 3.0.6, DSP 1.12