• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Loud buzzing Wii - how to fix?

sremick

Standard Member
So my Wii is well out of warranty, but has been exhibiting the notorious loud buzzing noise when a disc is spinning. It still works, but the noise is so loud that it's distracting and hard to drown out. So I'm tempted to attempt a repair myself (I have the tools and the skills).

What I'm not sure is what part I need. I could just go all-out and buy a whole new DVD drive assembly, but I'm not sure it's that serious. I'm guessing it's either the spindle motor (easy to obtain), or that white plastic disc that clamps down from the other side (not sure the name of this part or how to get just this part).

Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with this?

PocketOperator

I have also experienced the quite frightening sound of the furious disc-spinning from my Wii. It doesn't happen regularly, just now and again. I just unplug my Wii and let it cool down for a minute before restarting it and it works fine.

If your's is doing it regularly then you may need to get someone to have a look at it for you.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom