Loud Buzzing/humming sound when Game is in Console...

Covcraig

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I first noticed this issue about two months ago when I purchased WWE 2K15, I inserted the disc and there was a really loud buzzing/humming noise coming from the console while the game installed, which took like forever. I checked the disk when it was finished and there was no damage to it suprisingly (considering the noise) but 8/10 times the console still makes the same noise when I have it in the disk drive when playing this game. I thought it was an isolated incident as none of my games have done this in the past (I am a day one edition owner and got the console on day one) but now Im having the same problem with the disk version of the Wolf Among Us which I installed last night and is making the same noise.

Is this a regular thing or a sign that my console is on its way out?

I checked my warranty on xbox.com and it runs out on the 5th February so I still have time to send it back and have it fixed, what do you guys think/recommend?

Cheers

It's normal for the disc drive to make noise when in use but when playing a game it should stop reading the disc after 5-10 minutes then go silent.

If it is not then definitely sounds like something is up with your disc drive so probably best to have MS replace it.

I've had probably over fifteen games for the console since it came out and wwe was the first one it made a noise this loud, it was louder than the sound on the TV, and then again for the wolf among us. I read somewhere that there was problems with the first batch of xbox one blu ray drives so I'm wondering if it's that.

Do you know what the turn around time for the xbox service centre is if I send my console in? Also do you pay for deliver yourself or do they pick it up?

I've had probably over fifteen games for the console since it came out and wwe was the first one it made a noise this loud, it was louder than the sound on the TV, and then again for the wolf among us. I read somewhere that there was problems with the first batch of xbox one blu ray drives so I'm wondering if it's that.

Do you know what the turn around time for the xbox service centre is if I send my console in? Also do you pay for deliver yourself or do they pick it up?

If you can I would opt for the advanced replacement, they will immediately send you a new console which should arrive in 2-3 days then you just put your faulty console in the box the new one arrived in and arrange for it to be collected free of charge.

Okay, where do I go to start that process mate? Also, will I love anything off my console?

I'll record me putting a couple of discs in and the various sounds it makes so you can all see what I'm talking about

You will need to phone them as the advanced replacement scheme isn't available online.

Obviously the new console won't have any of your current content on it but if you have an external hard drive you could back it up then transfer it to your new one, far quicker than downloading everything again from scratch.

Okay, all my saves will be backed up via the cloud though?

If it only happens on some games it is probably just a bug where the disc is being accessed all the time. Might be nothing to do with hardware.

Early in the X1 life there was a bug where all disc games had the disc constantly being accessed for some reason. That will make a bit of noise as the drive spins as well as the extra fans when the drive is in use.

I did think it might be a game issue but wwe 2k15 and the wolf among us are relatively new games. Surely any disk faults would've been stamped out by now.. Maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said, it currently only seems to be on certain games but when it happens it's very annoying and noticeable

Oh yeah, It also slipped my mind that sometimes I'll get a disk error message when inserting disks basically saying the disk is not recognised and I have to exit the disk and put it back in to get it to read

Okay, all my saves will be backed up via the cloud though?

Yes they are all stored online.

Oh yeah, It also slipped my mind that sometimes I'll get a disk error message when inserting disks basically saying the disk is not recognised and I have to exit the disk and put it back in to get it to read

Mine started doing that then it got to the point where it was only one time out of ten it would recognise a disc had been inserted, that was when I called them and 2 days later I had a brand new fully functioning replacement.

Last edited:
How long had you had the console before they replaced yours? Just spoke with support and they said they want me to send mine, they'll send me one to use while they fix it then send it back when it's fixed and then I return their console. If that makes sense. Sounds abit more long winded than your experience though

I got my console on launch and had it replaced back in September, odd they didn't give you the advanced replacement option unless they have stopped it now.

Yeah I with someone with online support and she's booked my repair in for me online and sent me the labels I need to print off etc, I asked about the advanced repair sceme but she said there was 'no option for that on my account' but did agree that she thought it was a faulty disk drive as I had one of the first batches of xbox. Just seems abit long winded. She reckons that it could take up to ten business days for me to receive the temporary xbox to use and upto 14 days to get my original back. Thats just abit dumb in my opinion.

I read somewhere that they were offering free games as compensation to people who had this fault with the first wave of xbox ones... did you get any such thing? Maybe I need to get back onto support and ask them

They won't offer the advanced replacement scheme via online you need to actually ring them.

The free game thing was only for those that got a faulty console on launch not for one's that went faulty months later.

Okay. Might try that then, do you get a brand new console or just a refurbed one?

No idea, mine had all the original stickers and not a mark on it, if it's a refurb it could pass for new easily.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom