• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Loud bang when switching off Primare AV Amp

dave48

Established Member
I have a Primare SP31.7 AV pre-amp connected to a Primare A30.5 power amp. When I switch things off, if I switch the SP31.7 off first, or within a minute of so of switching off the A30.5 there is a loud bang through the speakers (and it really is quite loud).

Apart from the fact I'm worried this may blow the speakers at some point, it also scares the wife and the cats and she is now terrified to turn the kit off in the evening!

The fact you have to wait around a minute after switching off the A30.5 indicates that there is still power in the capacitors in the power amp so there must be some kind of spike coming when the SP31.7 is turned off.

Otherwise everything seems to be working fine. It didn't always do this - just started a couple of months ago.

Any ideas? Clearly I could send it in for repair but that seems to cost upwards of £200 very quickly and a couple of times in the past I've fixed one of my "broken" Primare power amps with a 20p fuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom