1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkB, Apr 18, 2001.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just out of interest, what is the power output of your amp? I bought a Denon, it is rated at 7 x 170 watts RMS plus 300 watts for the sub (1490 watts RMS in total) and it sounds incredible, just shows that they still pack a punch even now.

Mark

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can attenuate the input's in a similar way to the way Russ Andrews leads quite often are.

I saw a site sometime ago that told you how to do it by soldering a resistor (I think !) across the phono input's within the amp casing.

Alternatively if it's just one or 2 sources that are too loud, you could either resolder your current leads, or give Russ Andrews a call and have a chat with them.

If I can find the pages that discussed the DIY approach I'll post them.

Hope this helped a bit anyway.

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you feel up to it, and don't mind the Heath Robinson approach you could use a 10k potentiometer to vary the gain, it acts just like a volume control and is easily obtainable. Email me if you want further info.

4. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using with the amp, and what sensitivity are they?

The problem could just as easily be down to over-sensitive speakers.

5. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by a preamp to regulate volume in a slightly more refined manner

6. Fslot

Fslot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 70's era Hakkoh amp that used to be paired up with an 8 track cartridge player, so that's how old it is. The problem is it comes from a time when lads compared their manhoods by the RMS output of their amps and it is LOUD, VERY LOUD and DEAFENING. In my small lounge I can only use the first quarter of a turn on the volume knob before going deaf even though the quality of output is wonderful. Even then it is too powerful. Is there any way to soften the output to the speakers so that I can use it for background music on quiet evenings?