Loud adverts, volume control

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by trevperks, Dec 23, 2006.

1. trevperks

trevperks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Does anybody know of any products that can be added to an existing system to stop the adverts going so loud? A quick search on google finds a few (Terk Vr-1 Volume Regulator ) for example. Has anyone got a similar device, and do they work.
    Thanks

Trev.

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I have also noticed that the adverts do in fact seem to be louder. This however is down to very clever technique the name of which escapes me. Its the same that is used in clubs by djs. The sound is first compressed and then expanded, this gives the illusion of an increase in volume, without actually increasing it. I have tested this theory with a SPL meter and there is no increase in the db reading on the meter during the ads. Although it does sound a lot louder, this is to make up for the fact that most of us leave the room during the ads for whatever reason and the advertisers want us to hear there ads.

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    There are many devices that can fix the problem of "loud" adverts. They are called PVRs.

I don't watch any live TV at all - everything is recorded, allowing me to fast-forward through the adverts. This also saves wasting 10 minutes for every hour of viewing.

4. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I heard a few years ago that some authority was banning adverts coming on louder than the broadcasted program as so many people where complaining about it.

nothing ever come of it though :(

UKTV seems to be the worse for it atm, imo

5. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    My TV (Loewe) has a built in system to try and minimise the difference in the volume of ads. Not sure if there are other tellys out there with a similar system, but might be worth checking your tellys menu/options to see.

6. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    If you use your av receiver with regular tv/sky broadcast, have you tried switching on 'night mode'?

7. trevperks

trevperks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. Ill have a look at my amp to see what setting its got. I suppose recording programs is a way round this annoying problem. I wonder if anyone actually watches adverts. I normally change channel for a few minutes to save having to see the same thing over and over again.